edelrid tree magic 2,

Johny Walker

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cli9mb on the ekn and have found it a great harness , it gives plenty of support to both your lower back and lumbar and the rigid padding in the leg loops is very comfortable and great if your spending long periods of time with all your weight in your harness , there is plenty of kit loops for attaching spare climbing gear and lowering gear as well , i have also found the harness really really comfortable when using spikes and a strop BUT i tend to attach my flip line or strop to the bridge attachment poins because it means that your legs take some of the pressure rather than all of the pressure being on your waist . all in all a really good harness , im now waiting to replace mine as the newer version with a few alterations such as quick release leg loops and better saw attachment points . should be good tho , well it was from what i saw up at the AA show

just need some feedback on this harness pros & cons etc ,is it suitable for the larger climbers cheers folk :thumbup1:

I had a magic and hated the bloody thing, Crushed the nads, hurt my back, and didnt aid my climbing at all. Then I got a treemotion and was happy.

But, im not "a larger climber" In fact, I try to keep away from strong winds as I may be blown off course.:thumbup:

I would imagine that the Dragon-fly/EKN/(maybe)TreeMotion/Cresto/Petzl Mini-boss etc would be worth looking at though, Hope this helps:thumbup1:

I had a magic and hated the bloody thing, Crushed the nads, hurt my back, and didnt aid my climbing at all. Then I got a treemotion and was happy.

But, im not "a larger climber" In fact, I try to keep away from strong winds as I may be blown off course.:thumbup:

I would imagine that the Dragon-fly/EKN/(maybe)TreeMotion/Cresto/Petzl Mini-boss etc would be worth looking at though, Hope this helps:thumbup1:

It may of been possible that you just never found the sweet spot with the Magic? and the Motion just worked for you out the box, i think a lot of these modern harness can be made to be comfy for most with patience setting them up.

I find the back support a little low on the Motion a few climbers i know think the motion is aggrevating their back, mine started to get a little strained, I,ve since adjusted it and it seem my back has improved.

Basically my point is a poorly fitted harness can strain your back they are adjustable for a reason.

It may of been possible that you just never found the sweet spot with the Magic? and the Motion just worked for you out the box, i think a lot of these modern harness can be made to be comfy for most with patience setting them up.

I find the back support a little low on the Motion a few climbers i know think the motion is aggrevating their back, mine started to get a little strained, I,ve since adjusted it and it seem my back has improved.

Basically my point is a poorly fitted harness can strain your back they are adjustable for a reason.

I know what your saying, I invested quite a lot of time into it. first changing the distance between the leg loops and back pad etc, shortening the bridge, so I could sit more up-right, then replacing the sliding D set-up for a rope bridge so I could be a bit more mobile. Just never got on with it, I understand its a good harness and suits alot of people, just not me.

Definetely know what your saying about the motions back support. Had the same problem for a couple of months, but as youve stated you just have to find that sweet spot. I also think having it as tight as possible without putting your comfort at risk is the key, keeps the pads where they are meant to be.

The Tree Austria 3 doesn't look to good to me but i've never tried one, liked the original the best, no. 2 was a dissapointment.

The EKN which i think now has some new harnesses out? Tree Motion also the Petzl Seqouia are very good modern harnesses.

I'd like to try a Seqouia SRT out somtime

I thought the same thing when I first looked at the ta3, until a mate got one. Found it exeptionally light and flexible, but still providing brilliant back/thigh/hip support. I didnt like the 2nd to much either, really dont like the configuration of the loops and bridge being so close.

As for the sequoia, I think it easily rivals the tree motion. Had one as my first harness and loved every part of it. so simple and well thought out. no pointless extras on it, very light and gives you absolute mobility around the tree. 10/10 in my eyes. Will find it hard choosing my next harness. But im sure a new jangly bit of tackle will be out by then:thumbup:

I also went from a Weaver to a treemagic 2 and it is very light, comfortable but does occasionally crush the crown jewels. I have tried adjusting etc but cant seem to get it perfect. Has good tool attachment points and i like the way it has a built in krab that spreads the weight evenly across your back for the saw attachment. I dont really like the small D's compared to the Weaver though and the Weaver was very hard wearing.