smokey wood stove advice

welwell

Hello all and seasons greetings. Trust you all had a good 'un

So I'm having a few woodburning stove issues!!!!

For some unknown reason I seem to be experiancing some "back draught" problems that is to say the smoke is entering my house. It's never happened before, the chimney was swept earlier on this month and I can't see any visual obstructions on the pot.

Any ideas?????

I have had the stove on just ticking over for a few days now, do you think it needs opening up and giving a good ole blast to?????

Suggestions greatly recieved.

Have a good night tonight people.........here's to 2010!!!

Is a cowling one of those things that goes on top of the pot and turns in the wind???

It can be. Several different designs. There are a few basic rules with chimneys assuming it's not blocked.

If you've had it ticking over for a while the chimney may not be warm enough so smoke tends to slow down as it rises and backs up.

The amount of air moving up the chimney has to match the amount of free ventilation coming into the house. Draughtproof house and not enough air coming in.

Wind direction can cause a downdraught or reduce the venturi effect on the pot. A cowl will help.

Good luck.

Might be worth bearing in mind that if your flue is unlined and you're only running the stove on tickover, you can get a lot of creosote and tar condensing on the inside of your flue due to smoke cooling on it's way up. Modern stoves have much less heat than old fashioned open fires going up the chimney - and this can cause problems later with nasties leaching through your brickwork into interior rooms usually upstairs. If this does happen it's tricky to remedy without cutting out and replacing the affected brickwork - which could make the expense of a liner look like a much more cost effective job. Build up of deposits in the flue can also increase the risk of chimney fires when you happen to have a roarer going instead of your usual slow burn.

If I were you I'd run the stove harder and/or think seriously about lining the chimney. Both could work out cheaper than repairs should the worst case scenario happen.

Cheers,

Andy

Might be worth bearing in mind that if your flue is unlined and you're only running the stove on tickover, you can get a lot of creosote and tar condensing on the inside of your flue due to smoke cooling on it's way up. Modern stoves have much less heat than old fashioned open fires going up the chimney - and this can cause problems later with nasties leaching through your brickwork into interior rooms usually upstairs. If this does happen it's tricky to remedy without cutting out and replacing the affected brickwork - which could make the expense of a liner look like a much more cost effective job. Build up of deposits in the flue can also increase the risk of chimney fires when you happen to have a roarer going instead of your usual slow burn.

If I were you I'd run the stove harder and/or think seriously about lining the chimney. Both could work out cheaper than repairs should the worst case scenario happen.

Cheers,

Andy

:dito: What he said!