Square ground chain

Moley

The clock stops and starts beteween every cut so look at the cookie number and you will see that it cut a fair bit faster with square filed.

Yep, sure does now i looked again, but the operator just seems to be more hesitant in general.

In my opinion, the only way to have a comparison side by side like that is to do it yourself. That way, you know the facts about all possible variables.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me how little people know on the subject of chains in general

I agree

What gets me is, a very high percentage of climbers go to the far end of such as if the bearing type of hitch climber is better than the standard, or chipper operators will decide what chipper to buy based on how long it takes to change blades, etc etc

But, a very low percentage of saw operators know basic sharpening and maintenance skills, such as what file to use with what chain:confused1:

It beggers belief to think that something that is so important to 95% of us on here, that the knowledge of them is so basic.

Rant over, im going for a beer:001_tongue:

Or four:beer:

Happy new year:cheers:

What gets me is, a very high percentage of climbers go to the far end of such as if the bearing type of hitch climber is better than the standard, or chipper operators will decide what chipper to buy based on how long it takes to change blades, etc etc

But, a very low percentage of saw operators know basic sharpening and maintenance skills, such as what file to use with what chain:confused1:

It beggers belief to think that something that is so important to 95% of us on here, that the knowledge of them is so basic.

Rant over, im going for a beer:001_tongue:

Or four:beer:

Happy new year:cheers:

I hope my ignorance of this particular subject doesnt come accross as a general lack of knowledge regarding saw and chain maintenance.

I have 2 loops of Oregon Square and yep it does cut a bit faster!

The files are pricy i just spent $140 on 20 files from the US. ( Being lazy on working out what i paid in £s)

The reason they cut faster is, As we all know its the side of the cutter that does most of the work not the top plate, The square filed chain severs the wood here where the round filed tears it out.

ANY full chisel round ground chain can be made square BTW.

And they can be sharpened on a grinder not just filed. But the sharpeners are expensice i think they start about $1000

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/sunlover3/C19.jpg

Edited by ScotClayShooter

I hope my ignorance of this particular subject doesnt come accross as a general lack of knowledge regarding saw and chain maintenance.

No,no, no! Definately not. I would say you are among the few who are trying to advance knowledge and get that little bit more from chain sharpening.

I probably generalised a little too much. There have been a few threads started about maintenance and sharpening (including my own) but there never seems to be much interest or knowledge of the subject.

Here (in the UK) we seem to be all in for getting the latest high tech gear, the biggest chippers in our area, finding out what day rate everyone is on, making sure our kit is tested, our trucks arent overloaded and making sure we run with the right licences and permits, finding out the latest LA regulations, but there never seems to be the same enthusiasm about saw maintenance!

Just look at the number of views the thread "Hitchclimer" had by tree thomas. Over 1500 views in one month.

The thread started by apbell "Landy Tool storage /Side lockers" had over 1000 views in just over a month.

The thread i started "Basic chain maintenance guide" nearly 3 months ago has had a total of 432 views.

I think that explains how interested people are in maintenance.

Sorry again for the derail.

Pete.

PS, thanks for the thread in the first place:thumbup1:

:dito:

I thought that too!

I always surprises me how many people I come across that are prepared to work, or carry on working with a saw thats not really sharp.

It takes a minute or two to brighten up a dull chain when refuelling.

The whole HAVS, anti-vibe and full throttle trigger time thing is made a mockery of when chains are poorly sharpened.

Every one should have a copy of the little Oregon book.

:dito:

I thought that too!

I always surprises me how many people I come across that are prepared to work' date=' or carry on working with a saw thats not really sharp.

It takes a minute or two to brighten up a dull chain when refuelling.

The whole HAVS, anti-vibe and full throttle trigger time thing is made a mockery of when chains are poorly sharpened.

Every one should have a copy of the little Oregon book.[/quote']

bet you would be surprised how many have picked up a copy of the little oregon book

or the big stihl one

and never looked at it or read it

totally agree how many folk order a reel of chain for a stihl 341 as an example

i would order exactly the reel i wanted and know why i wanted it rather than just a reel of chain for a 341

one of my mates is also very knowledgable on chains if not more so and we were having a full on debate whilst in a minibus full of tree bods and they just called us sad lonely looser toot tooters

but same debate about rope or crabs would of been ok

amazing how many have never sat down and read there saw manual as well:confused1:

amazing how many have never sat down and read there saw manual as well:confused1:

Perhaps a few should do as i do, have a stack of manuals next to the throne in the downstairs lavvy, at least one of them should get thumbed through once a day:biggrin:

Perhaps a few should do as i do, have a stack of manuals next to the throne in the downstairs lavvy, at least one of them should get thumbed through once a day:biggrin:

too much info there:confused1::blushing:

The thread i started "Basic chain maintenance guide" nearly 3 months ago has had a total of 432 views.

I think that explains how interested people are in maintenance.

I started a few threads awhile ago about the odd little tip on saw maintenance but got very little interest back,

Is strange like you say that there could/would be loads of interest in the colour of a krab but nothing on preventing your top saw which is used everyday from going BANG!

As for chains, I like to use the sharp pointy types:thumbup1: