Our industry

Amelanchier

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about going off topic a bit Tony, but is there any agreed definition of arboriculturalist, arboriculturist, arborist etc?

Im not sure a debate as to an "agreed" definition has much to do with it either...!:001_rolleyes:

I dont know but I find the "homegrown" aspirations of some comments tend to exclude any real discourse about the industry as it tends to limit quite drastically the dynamic of arboriculture. ( And it's rather depressing frankly) Perhaps we need to define arboriculture . As professionals within the industry, it would be hoped that a more "inclusive" view of the various aspects of the "arboricultural" industry might prevail.....?

:001_smile:

As professionals within the industry, it would be hoped that a more "inclusive" view of the various aspects of the "arboricultural" industry might prevail.....?

I agree. As someone with quals and experience in forestry, arboriculture and urban forestry, I see considerably less difference between the disciplines than within them.

To most of my clients I am simply the 'tree man' - and I'm quite happy with that.

Continued division and subdivision only harms our industry/sector/discipline (choose whichever offends you least) by weakening our collective voice.

to the outside world ''its just trees'

some take that more seriously than others.. most like trees but it doesnt really register on a day by day level with them

We & I do mean all Arbs spend our time walking /driving around & comment on at trees as we go about our day even my wife & kids do it now !! So it must be bad

We are in the know .... whereas most merely subconciously appreciate the vista or leafy amenity quality added to the area

arborist - treeman tree surgeon - bloke with chainsaw

it doesnt really seem to matter whatever we do as 'its just trees'

Sorry about going off topic a bit Tony, but is there any agreed definition of arboriculturalist, arboriculturist, arborist etc?

Is this where I tie myself in knots trying to draw lines in the continuum of arb? :D

The thread wasn't intended to debate the relationship between the practical and theorectical roles. Nor the moral serendipity of the working man.

The point was to discuss how the theoretical industry is viewed by other professionals. The planner, the ecologist, the architect.

I don't think we need to examine individual job titles.

Is this where I tie myself in knots trying to draw lines in the continuum of arb? :D

The thread wasn't intended to debate the relationship between the practical and theorectical roles. Nor the moral serendipity of the working man.

The point was to discuss how the theoretical industry is viewed by other professionals. The planner, the ecologist, the architect.

I don't think we need to examine individual job titles.

If you wear clean clothes at work they'll treat you as an equal, if you wear stretch airs they won't... simples Tony, next question please:thumbup1: