Our industry

Amelanchier

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its right to remove/prune trees because its blocking the light, shedding leaves, blocking the sky signal, drops aphid sap everywhere, nesting/roosting bird mess everywhere, worries people when the wind gets up etc etc etc.....

Why not?

Lifes too short to have to deal with the above so why not remove it.

Thats why are industry was born imo so lets not complain about needlessly felling/pruning trees when without it there would hardly be an industry at all.

One thinks you may have opened a can of worms,i hope you have broad shoulders my friend,good luck.

Lol not to worry and thanks.:001_smile:

Besides I am only saying what many others think.:thumbup1:

A lot of us and our spouses owe our livelihoods to the simple fact that trees get in the way.

I cant remember that last time I ever did anything for the benefit of the tree, except maybe pollarding(topping) instead of felling.

One thinks you may have opened a can of worms,i hope you have broad shoulders my friend,good luck.

That may be so but I dont think there's any great mystery to it !

Times change. Our situation changes. Once, where removal and pruning was a way forward, we find ourselves needing to promote an "arboriculture" of a different kind.

By using our knowledge and skills we are able maintain and care for trees in the public arena. We also recognise the need for them. We also recognise that they need to be kept perhaps more than was once the case. Think back to the Victorians. They mostly planted them and started the whole Urban /street tree concept.(Aswell as parks and gardens etc etc...) If we were to plant more, there would be less pressure to retain them where they were a bit of a nuisance.

It may be why or how our industry was "born " as you put it, but not the extent of what we consider our remit. It is a narrow view if you are suggesting that our industry does little else. We are now in the business of promoting the "smart" design where trees are recognised and used for the same reasons as before but with many new and formerly unrecognised benefits. And we need to plant more. And folk need to be made aware of the real benefits of trees and stop thinking they can be removed and there be no consequence.

If you do not see that the context within which you are practicing arboriculture has changed, then you need to get with the program!:001_smile:

Lol not to worry and thanks.:001_smile:

Besides I am only saying what many others think.:thumbup1:

I cant remember that last time I ever did anything for the benefit of the tree, except maybe pollarding(topping) instead of felling.

I think you are making alot of assumptions in this one paragraph already...Theres no helping some folk!:001_tongue: