eco-tom

Root pruning to boundary destabilising tree

14 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Hmmm. 

Uncomfortable phone conversation with a client this evening.

Hope that you emailed the original, unrevised, quote and haven't deleted it. I sure that that would help if you end up in court.

I do wonder if, assuming that you kept the grinding nice and tight to the stump itself, grinding may have been a contributory factor? 

With the trees being close together you would expect roots to be intermingled, so severing roots from the stump of the tree that you felled may have then reduced the cohesion of the roots of the surrounding trees. 

I'd hope that it would be easy to prove, with some careful excavation of the ground stump, that you didn't sever any roots of the remaining trees, but if my theory is pursued you may have problems disproving that. 

I'd start by reminding the owner of your original quote and its warnings, along with plenty of research literature (Mattheck is good) about soil moisture content and root cohesion. Convince him he's on a hiding to nothing even pursuing the matter. Good luck.

• Like 1

I'd advise saying nothing, not even here on Arbtalk. It could get ugly and anything you say could be used against you. Be careful but don't worry. As the saying goes, the law works best when it is subservient to the honesty of the case.

PM me if you want pointed in the right direction.

• Like 1