Grab for micro digger?

doobin

Has anyone used a Kelfri 08? I'll be honest, it looks shit, but I want something to fit on the micro digger to use as mini skidder for tight acces jobs.

My Tigergrip 16 is OK, but a bit heavy for it really at 80+KG. I would want to mount direct, no rotator- I can fab this up no bother, although the Kelfri with it's built in rotator mount doesn't look like it'll take a lot of stick used direct even just for lift and carry jobs.

Anything else out there? I already have a decent grapple for it, but want something that I can mount so as to give me clamping ability in line with the arm, not crossways.

Edited by doobin

For skidding you really want to consider a ‘knock around’ mount, basically just free swivelling with no rotator so the material and the machine aren’t fighting each other.

If you’ve plenty of actual whole tree/limbs to move rather than just brash you could consider mounting a grab upside down on the blade to get the maximum from the machine, but that reduces the ability to steer a bit with the arm.

I’d take a look at these from Intermercato with 3 tines that could be significantly stronger than standard log grabs that bend so easily.

If you want a price message me I do Intermercato right money.

2A1CECA6-8596-4B9A-8A07-28A2B94FDF68.thumb.jpeg.6797f4dc208e23f600820ae355c1871b.jpeg

Eddie.

All credit to Kevin Russell here, lovely machine and I’m certain serious work/thought has gone into this.

Certainly that’s where the machine is going to be pulling the most and you can face the direction of travel.

The grab weight won’t be as critical either, but to load it you need a rotating grab really.

BBE042E6-8242-4E84-81A8-D13B48E50E7A.thumb.jpeg.c13eb5d0fdad033a0b9a562b8ba10333.jpeg

Eddie

• Like 2

You're right Eddie, a knockabout would be best for skidding. Poor choice of words on my part.

I think I'm asking for the impossible to be fair. The job is a large amount of bamboo that needs to be dragged up the garden to the truck. I've got my Tigergrip set direct mount on the micro at the moment, and I'm hoping to be able to grab the bamboo as it stands, then cut it, lift and skid it out and lift it onto the truck the other end. A niche application, and probably yes, a lightweight grab on a knockabout would be best in future.

The Intermeccato stuff is very good, but I fear even the small ones are a little heavy for a micro. I'll probably just try the Tigergrip 16 setup for this paticular job and then go from there. I've tested it on brash round the yard and it lifts a damn sight more than a man can drag. Just feels cumbersome even when empty.

Just thrown this one in, not hard to take the Dipper off, great mounting point at the Boom Dipper connection for a decent size grab with rotate with the bonus you can intercept the pipes and now have a Grab/Rotate setup on the actual joysticks.

Yes you’ve only got up down and slew with limited height, but no worse than a 3 point linkage or small loader setup, full power/control for each function and loads more balance.

I think I’ve just invented a cheap micro skidder!?

Eddie.

• Like 2

This got absolutely slaughtered before,  but for anyone wanting to switch from an Excavator to a Skidder with minimal hassle and then have the ability to power the Rotate and Grab, provided the machine has one two way auxiliary circuit which most have, it would make an interesting option.

Simply drop the Dipper off and pick up a nose bracket with the Grab/Rotator on.

Closer in you could get a good big Grab on and having the powered rotate will make things much nicer.

Eddie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doobin said:

I was mulling that over only last week! I worked out that the main problem is that the boom lift point is right at the front of the machine, whereas on a mini track loader it's towards the back.

Yes, but you can’t go digging footings next day with a loader!

Eddie.