'Yellows' for night driving

TimberCutterDartmoor

I use prescription "yellows" for daytime use. They are actually specsavers "high contrast driving" tint. They're great in daylight but no use at night.

The optician explained that in daylight there is too much blue light which saturates your eyes, these glasses filter blue and allow your eyes to be more receptive to other colours.

I bought them primarily for spotting squirrels, but I wear them all the time in the woods as they really improve the contrast between the green leaves, brown bark and grey squirrel. Everything just looks more colourful through them.

What about taking loads of ecstasy and blowing a whistle now and again?

Big box, small box, Big box, small box. Reminds me of Kevin & Perry go large and that partlcular episode of Spaced!

I suffer the same problem and when I started driving halogens were the norm :001_tongue:

The problem seems to be increased these days by poorly adjusted headlights and those that think front fogs/'driving lights' need to be on 24/7. 'Yes, you can see better with 4 halogens running but I could also see better when I leave my full beam on'.

My initial solution was to get prescription glasses with an anti-reflective coating. This helped a bit and I also drive with the rear view 'clicked up' to reduce the glare. But this pair are so scratched to make that coating now pointless :laugh1:

The comment about laser eye correction. I thought that either of the srd traetments made your eyes more sensitive to bright lights?

Hi

I think you have a valid point and although the humorous replies had me laughing, I also do empathise with you on this issue. It is probably too much to lobby that the nation goes over to yellow lights, but you can buy yellow bulbs for your own vehicle. The French have been using them for years.

You can also ask your optician to supply you with Yellow coated lenses for night driving. I spent some time with a pal who served on the army over in Germany and he used yellow lenses for night driving. I tried them myself and found the experience most assuring and can report that they cut glare from on coming vehicles as well as to benefit your own night vision.

Just pop down to your local Opticians at around 4.30 when it is dark and ask to try a pair of yellow lenses. You can also buy Yellow Night Driving glasses on EvilBay.

Be well

Shamanpan

Hi

I think you have a valid point and although the humorous replies had me laughing, I also do empathise with you on this issue. It is probably too much to lobby that the nation goes over to yellow lights, but you can buy yellow bulbs for your own vehicle. The French have been using them for years.

But they don't any more, to be 'EU compliant' ? :confused1: