rope marking

john dawson

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My ropes come from honey brothers, they are ALWAYS with a id label serial number etc

Sure, mine too, but last year I bought from them at the APF, (cut from the reel) and no serial numbers. Not a problem though, I mark them myself.

It would never be a problem at a comp though as far as I'm aware.

hope you can see the rope markings

i bought a label maker so i can mark anything and everything

most stuff i buy by reel or cut down

also do loler inspections and find it clearer and more professional than writing on a bit of white tape

and van fit a lot more info on a small label

also dead handy for lowering kits

also makes splices look a bit more legit:thumbup:

5976551c0fbe6_splicescorch002.jpg.d22044e0cee519754d15d3fd8f5e7528.jpg

Oh. Well done on going to the WTCC.

Thanks chuck! it only took a lifetime of trying very hard and getting knocked at every post!

My undying thanks and gratitude goes out to Jo Hedger@arborventure for her invaluable help above and beyond the call of duty, and 4 putting up wiv me!!!!

Cheers mate!

anyhoooos, back to the topic!! the reason ropes cant have any old number on the label is cuz of the traceability, ie it needs to be traced back to the maker (the person in the factory) if it has any old number on it you can only trace it to the shop. i do find it very peculier how a dealer can cut and label friction cord, but will cut and not label rope cut from the roll next to it.

I'm not totally agreeing with you. All those things you mention are to do with the selling of euipment. Loler is to do with checking thats it still suitable for use. Its not quite the same thing. Certificates of confrmity are not the same as Loler?

i.e. You can have gear with no CE mark that you got from the states for example, and that could pass a loler test depending on the tester. It would also be ok in comps dependign on what the committee has decided.

If I lolered a rope with no marking on it, I would (hopefully) know what the rope is and I would check its not damaged and pass or fail it on that basis, and put a mark on it to identify it from other ropes that that company/person owned.

You didn''t answer my previous question: Did anyone at the welsh comp have their kit failed because it didn't have a serial number on it?

I think your over worrying/complicating things. Gear should pass loler inspection on the day, but even loler is only a guide, tree comps are not work so loler doesn't actually apply.

The head judge has final decision on the day if anythign is unclear.

I have gear checked at many comps and have never worried about labels.

Practice your climbing and don't worry about the kit side of things!

I'm not totally agreeing with you. All those things you mention are to do with the selling of euipment. Loler is to do with checking thats it still suitable for use. Its not quite the same thing. Certificates of confrmity are not the same as Loler?

i.e. You can have gear with no CE mark that you got from the states for example, and that could pass a loler test depending on the tester. It would also be ok in comps dependign on what the committee has decided.

If I lolered a rope with no marking on it, I would (hopefully) know what the rope is and I would check its not damaged and pass or fail it on that basis, and put a mark on it to identify it from other ropes that that company/person owned.

You didn''t answer my previous question: Did anyone at the welsh comp have their kit failed because it didn't have a serial number on it?

not going to derail this thread but

no gear that does not have a CE should not pass a loler and should not be used in this country for tree work

climbing comps may vary as they can deem recreational climbing

also if you lolered a rope and did not know what it was you should not really inspect pass/fail it

is it suitable, fit for intended use,strong enough, CE marked

the reason for identifying ropes is more for tracability than to identify which rope in a bag

nothing wrong with calling a rope rope 1 but you should have all details ie serial no purchase date and supplier but as we know life is not always that simple

if i cut of a reel first 1 would be for eg 54132A next 54132B and so on

Edited by bob
spelling