something for the sharper arbor!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Just read the list of stuff he's published.

He's an expert in wood decay, fungal stuff. So I see why you rightly have some respect for him.

It was a paper on inclusional theory, that had my head reeling. I may have to go and swallow a dictionary, to have a chance of understanding what he's on about:001_smile:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.k from the top.

Alan Rayner is/ has been one of the most influencial mycological researchers! a lot of his and Helen Boddy's (BMS president today) are referenced just about everywhere in arb and myco litreture.

Probably named for the first time more fungi than you know!

I made a fatal error in righting off darwins idea, I didnt mean to do so, what I am trying to express is that whilst Darwin is the father of modern ecology and the theory of evolution by natural selection, there exists TWO ideas that explain diversity.

One is elitist and if we look at it intimatley and logicaly it is actualy counter productive to diversity, diversity is the thing here which is that that darwin tried to explain and did a very fine job of and has lasted as an idea 150 years bar a few months!

Why are there so many big cats on the african plains? why is there not one, maybe two supreme cats that have by evolutionary supremacy dominated and out competed the others?

It is because as populations expand, new avenues and options are explored for survival, and a new path (of least resistance) is taken, then Darwins rules apply in a way he visioned, but essentialy all life forms a flow form pattern, this is where all things space time life and mathematics all converge into the same patterns.

Are you with me so far?

Forget about Alans academic speak, put all that transfigural mathematics to one side and just give me a fair chance to explain "inclusionality and its true significance.

in our darwinist, newtonist, scientific inspired worlds/lifes we are taught from an early age to LIMIT everything, in math in biology in science, we are told that we are the apex species, the supreme evolutionary example, and corporate and capatalist ego is driven by this mind set, the selfish gene theory etc.

math is limited, Physics is limited etc etc apply this to all our thinking and teaching.

We do this because there is no explanation for "unlimited" newtons third body problem forced science to look through a lens and isolate the object, to remove it form its natural nieghbourhood where it would be influenced by infinate things, because nature is imagination personified, it bears unimaginable diversity and flow.

I posted just now without re- reading the thread. so appologies for not being up to speed. So where you going with this new explanation hama that leaves us hanging.

I must just nip out to take my cat for his evening stroll he's pestering, back in half an hour

I disagree Hama. There is a rule coined by a chap called Orgel that simply states "Evolution is cleverer than you are". Essentially this is an option C to your dichotomy of "either this or that". Diversity is well explained by the profusion of niches - they don't necessarily overlap as much as you think.

And I don't consider nature to be as unlimited in its imagination as you do. As an incremental process, evolution works with what it has. Which is why I have an appendix, whales have lungs and no animals have developed wheels.

Perhaps this is also a good point to ask what on earth does Rayner mean when he says in your quote "...which provide a communications interface for energy transfer from neighbour to neighbour, from living to dead, and from dead to living" - How do the dead use energy? And presuming that they have their own (so that the living can take it) why do they need to transfer (somehow) that energy from the living. Are they zombies? :D

I disagree Hama. There is a rule coined by a chap called Orgel that simply states "Evolution is cleverer than you are". Essentially this is an option C to your dichotomy of "either this or that". Diversity is well explained by the profusion of niches - they don't necessarily overlap as much as you think.

And I don't consider nature to be as unlimited in its imagination as you do. As an incremental process, evolution works with what it has. Which is why I have an appendix, whales have lungs and no animals have developed wheels.

Perhaps this is also a good point to ask what on earth does Rayner mean when he says in your quote "...which provide a communications interface for energy transfer from neighbour to neighbour, from living to dead, and from dead to living" - How do the dead use energy? And presuming that they have their own (so that the living can take it) why do they need to transfer (somehow) that energy from the living. Are they zombies? :D

Coming from you Tony that is a suprise! no wonder i am struggling here!

i think i am going to enlist some help, but I will try to explain the comment in my signature line. it really isnt difficult to see what this line is saying.

basicaly, fungi are a comunications interface because they are interlinked through all the soils and plants like a web directly tapped into all life on earth.

As a thing, a tree, a weed a man dies he returns that energy that is stored in the vessel of his body back into the basic elements of life for re use, in this way, fungi are the lifeblood of ALL terestrial eco systems, recycling the energies and comunicating between the dead and the living.

Just went for a walk round with orca and found a crow caught in the fishing wire over the pond (heron defences)

Waded in fished him out, cut him free, took an hour wrapped in a towel to warm up. He's just flown off. All is well, will redesign heron defence tommorrow.

I agree with TS, mr Rayner says some stuff that is very difficult to decipher