Another one on friction hitches

Squirrel1

Lately i have been checking out other systems, being at college we only tend to use the standard Prusik knot system and i want to explore a few more for my self, This is my attempt at a Distel knot system as you can see i haven't as yet got a micro pulley thats on my list of things to get, i did however read somewhere that using a crab is perfectly acceptable.

Let me know your thoughts guys like i said im looking to exploe new systems so any comments welcome,

P17-12-09_1707-1.jpg

Peace

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you boys! friction hitches are a bit of a horses for courses subject, when youve climbed as long as I have you learn to eliminate superfluos matters quickly. basics is always key, too much complications, i personally have come to love the helical hitch, simple fast and wear friendly as it is the most adaptable i.e the heated spot can be changed to slow wear often and for many goes. If your into gadgets and pulleys and all that jazz, whatever floats your boat, but twenty years from now, i garauntee youll have used the same system for at least ten of those years!

Lately i have been checking out other systems, being at college we only tend to use the standard Prusik knot system and i want to explore a few more for my self, This is my attempt at a Distel knot system as you can see i haven't as yet got a micro pulley thats on my list of things to get, i did however read somewhere that using a crab is perfectly acceptable.

Let me know your thoughts guys like i said im looking to exploe new systems so any comments welcome,

P17-12-09_1707-1.jpg

Peace

that is most definatly a distel friction hitch although my advice would be to shorten the legs [the lengths of rope between the fishermans knots and the hitch itself] as this will improve the way the hitch grips your climbing line and reduce the possibility of it failing to grip and to stick with the pully idea. the krab may work in a fashion but will not be anywhere near as efficient as a pulley. a small isc swing cheek micro pulley or even better a hitch climber should do the trick!:thumbup:

a firm favourite has to be the valdotain tresse (or VT) knot. couple this with a micro pulley (or even better, a hitchclimber pulley) and you'll be laughing.

71218411.jpg

Ditto that, Or a knute, Helical or Howards. Or anything that works well for you and your style of climbing. I would steer away from the distel, used it myself for about a month. Hated it. Binds far too tight when descending any distance more than 10 ft or so. Good luck mate.

my spiderjack is on its way, he he. no more silly knots lol

Hey Shrek,have you used a spider jack before?

I have a lockjack and a hitchclimber and very rarely use the lockjack.

I think the lockjacks brilliant but does take some getting used to and can be very jumpy in the wet!!....I have never used a spider jack,just wondered if they were the same?