Working near bat boxes

jjll

If a box is occupied on the day of work I'm assuming that the work can't be done, because of the risk of disturbance. 

Could you check prior to the works and temporarily remove the boxes? (replacing after completion of works)

That was my thought, although I’ve had a quote which is over half the cost of the tree work and comes with a detailed report which I don’t think is needed. I know that it will come with a cost due to the experience needed by the person doing the checks but I really can’t see my client justifying the extra costs.

It literally is check them, if they are empty crack on, if not get advise from the bat guys, but I need to be sure I’m covered on my part.

1 hour ago, jjll said:

That was my thought, although I’ve had a quote which is over half the cost of the tree work and comes with a detailed report which I don’t think is needed. I know that it will come with a cost due to the experience needed by the person doing the checks but I really can’t see my client justifying the extra costs.

It literally is check them, if they are empty crack on, if not get advise from the bat guys, but I need to be sure I’m covered on my part.

Careful! "A bat roost is protected whether or not it is in use at the time" according to Felix (I haven't looked at the wording of the legislation myself. 

I'm interpreting that as, if a box has ever been occupied, even for one day, then it's legally designated as a bat roost and then you'd be disturbing it and committing an offence.. Whereas a birds nest has to either be under construction or in use, before disturbing becomes an offence. 

33 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Careful! "A bat roost is protected whether or not it is in use at the time" according to Felix (I haven't looked at the wording of the legislation myself. 

I'm interpreting that as, if a box has ever been occupied, even for one day, then it's legally designated as a bat roost and then you'd be disturbing it and committing an offence.. Whereas a birds nest has to either be under construction or in use, before disturbing becomes an offence. 

https://www.bats.org.uk/advice/bats-and-the-law

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Matty is right it's just ascam.

I bought a small area off woodland and even built a load of bat boxes for it, but never put them up as will just make any future management ackward and cost me money.

Bizzarely thou if the bat box rots or falls off the tree the tree is no longer protected and there is no obligation for u to replace the box.

So motto is use really crap string if u want to put 1 up

Ecologist here albeit not a licenced bat worker so take this under caution.

A bat roost is protected whether bats are there or not - you can't damage one when they're out feeding for example - but historical use doesn't count. 

But if they've been there historically then they'll probably be there now.

Get a licenced bat worker to have a look and give advice. Yes it will cost but bear in mind that to get a bat licence takes a long time and can cist a bloody fortune.

Also there is of course the charming risk of rabies...and obviously unsocial hours work. I think £300 a day is average.

But do not leave it to the last minute.  For a start bat workers are often very busy and more than one night might be required.

• Like 1

Good info about surveys, albeit more development based.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/bats-surveys-and-mitigation-for-development-projects

Also from BCT.

https://www.bats.org.uk/our-work/buildings-planning-and-development/avoidance-mitigation-compensation

I still suggest that your best course of action is to talk to either your local Bat group or the Bat Conservation Trust.

• Like 1