traffic lights??

not for sale sorry

Depends on what your insurance company require. The C&G is usefull if you have to mess with the lights at all but generally they should be ok once going but you will be responsible for them once the bloke that set it up has gone, even if you are up the tree, someone has to be in charge/responsible.

Of course it would need to be both ways, they don't do one way lights!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

have been asked to take a tree down right next to a road, some branches over hanging the road, the road is a main road with cars and lorries doing about 50-60mph, so i really dont fancy getting up there with out some how slowing or stopping the traffic, how would i go about doing this or getting a company in?? will i have to tell the council?? never done work next to a road like this ??

many thanks shane

Have you atually got the job or quoting for it, if not then just bang £250 per day on for the lights and worry about it if you get the job. More often than not you do a lot of worrying for nothing, it's very rare we win jobs pricing in proper traffic managment

it all depends on the road normally if its an a road you cannot set up before 9am and have to be off by 4pm if they set up and stay on site all day your dont need chapter 8 as they will be taking responsibilty for it.

i had one yesterday i have chapter 8 supervisor ticket and some snotty highways officer was trying to insist i needed full traffic managment at a cost of £350 for the day job was only worth £200 max as only there for 2 hours so be careful and speak to local council and see what they want

Just done Unit 2 of the traffic management course.

Your choice of management is totally dependant on the layout of the road. You will need to inform the LA and it is probably wise to inform the Emergency Services if you plan to stop both ends of the traffic at any time to drop branches.

You can download the pink and red books on traffic management free. Or I think they are about a tenner each hard copy. This would give you a clue as to what to do.

I think you are supposed to have someone qualified to set up the layout of your cones/signs. The qualified person must be on site for the duration of the works.

If you use mulitmap (birdseye) you can get an aerial picture of your site in order to sketch out which signs are required and where you are gonna put them.

Usually there is no cost in applying for a traffic light permit from the highways dept, its just a form to fill in , so any TM company charging is scamming IMO.

But they must be informed if there are tempory lights even stop and go.

To set up any roadworks ie to work on the side of the road even wothout lights you should have City + guilds signing and lighting to put a sign out.

Rather than guess the cost, geta Traffic management firm to give you a written quote, any other contractor doing the work will have the same issues.

Remember, if someone has a car crash in YOUR work site and you have not got proper TM ie ducking and diving, or you have got TM but not to the required standard ie chapt 8 you will NOT be insured. We have had highways inspectors measure the distance between signs to make sure they are correct (We had our own lights and and certs) as on the form you fill in you must detail the TM provider.. If an outside company supplies the TM then they could leave, but somoeon on site must have the correct cert, or they price to have someone on site..