What chain for firewood

Echo

Hi to all

I use the 21LPX chains on 50cc with 16 inch bar.

They do ok in the varied wood I cut, Ash Birch Elm and Sitka spruce.

I will need more chain, and am looking for recommendations.

The main issue with the 21LPX for me is it blunts easy because of the dirty wood.

Would LGX be any better, I have never used BPX either though I thinks it may be micro chisel and slightly less effective speed wise.

What would you all think appropriate for cutting fairly dirty timber, especially the Sitka as it is usually dragged through the muck when I get it, this is why I get it.

We will only be using the small saws, 50cc, so don't want aggressive chain either, the main reason being the cutter is learning so using the small saws in the yard, before going into the fields.

Thanks for looking

Edited by Echo

Thanks, the 261 has way more grunt than the Echo 501, and with a little work

it comes close up to a 362, but lighter and smaller, I had a 362 but sold it on,

my next 60 cc saw will be a 60 something saw, 50 and 60 too close for my

duties.

Good point about the nature of the 325 as you use it.

I use semi chisel most of the time. Go to RObD's site chainsawbars.co.uk for some more options.

Also, remove the baffle and open up the exhaust on that 261 and it will be very mean. Loud, tho:

158364757.gbjFojnk.jpg

• Like 1

There was recently a video from vallorbe I think where they did measurements of cutting speed with different filing angles etc. One of the first tests was semi-chisel, cut speed was 93% of full chisel.

I think if you compare how much dirty wood you cut in a couple of hours it will be much more with semi because it stays sharp so much better. I find this felling in the woods, when you cut nice and low always going to be a little bit of mud and moss so have to touch up full chisel two or three times as often.

• Like 2

Thanks Dan Maynard

the saw will be an Echo 501, so not a big saw, any recommendations on what

cemi chisel to try, I can easily find the semi, re the link wyk posted, but having

not used  Oregon them maybe someone will chime in regarding a smooth running chain

in the cemi chisel variety, anyone using 21BPX, it has a bumper link as well as the

usual curve on the raker, I want to stick to one chain for felling and cutting up,

as there is not really much clean wood available to me.