Stihl 070

Rough Hewn

Been maxing out the mill at 105cm quite a bit over the last few months.
Going to have to go a lot bigger.
My 880 is a good girl at that size but I'd worry about running a 180cm bar with it milling.
I'd prefer not to go down the double powerhead route.
So I'm looking to make a monster saw for a monster mill.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

The factory made 10 "ten cube" saws , Madsens has one and from what I remember around 3-5 are known to still be around ? You are never going to find one of those two piece top ends ! 

Torque yes but rpms ? no they are a slow runner unless you re-adjust the over rev flap by maybe two notches see how that runs and go up another if you like. 

070 to 090 involves more than just the 137cc top end, bigger starter and clutch and can't remember if bigger head bolts ? 

Most of the parts you see online are after market although not bad, I bought up a load of genuine stuff a few years ago. 

Spuds the miracle man on power outputs i’m afraid, i’m just a basic Fred in a shed man [emoji30]
I cant find owt on a big bore kit Rough, unless your willing to going aftermarket. Personally, cos of its age and the fact they’re getting sought after and scarce, i’d just bring it back to life as standard original and hang it in the games room to be drooled at! But thats just my thoughts.
I’ve just bought a meteor kit for my 036 i’m rebuilding. Comparing it to a recent bought nikasil cheapie...... the differences in build quality are worlds apart. Aftermarket be good enough for an occasional run up and use, but put to hard work in a forest daily or beasting through a trunk everyday milling like you do..... i think they’d shat theirselves in no time. Even more so if theyre ported and opened up. Plus you run risk of fudging bottom end too if it does decide to let go. Play safe i say, will give you greater rewards all round. ?

24 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Been maxing out the mill at 105cm quite a bit over the last few months.
Going to have to go a lot bigger.
My 880 is a good girl at that size but I'd worry about running a 180cm bar with it milling.
I'd prefer not to go down the double powerhead route.
So I'm looking to make a monster saw for a monster mill.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/stihl-complete-planking-unit-rare-had-from-new-/20879330

I know you just said you don't want a double head unit but I spotted this today.. he's looking plenty for it imo, but it depends a lot on the condition too.

I've an old 070 on a shelf in the shed.. I'll be following your progress with yours if you do go for it, would like to make a monster out of it too!!

The factory made 10 "ten cube" saws , Madsens has one and from what I remember around 3-5 are known to still be around ? You are never going to find one of those two piece top ends ! 
Torque yes but rpms ? no they are a slow runner unless you re-adjust the over rev flap by maybe two notches see how that runs and go up another if you like. 
070 to 090 involves more than just the 137cc top end, bigger starter and clutch and can't remember if bigger head bolts ? 
Most of the parts you see online are after market although not bad, I bought up a load of genuine stuff a few years ago. 

Thanks outinthewood, very interesting.
If I get it, might need to have a chat about parts if your willing to part with them.
[emoji106]