Air Bubbles In Log Splitter Hydraulics

Haironyourchest

Somehow the drain bolt on the bottom of the hydraulic oil sump worked loose and vanished, leaving my splitter with an empty sump. I have reinstalled a plug and refilled with the right oil (Hydraulic 46). The spec was "approx 6lt, but it overflowed at four. Started splitting and it seems to work same as ever, but the oil is foaming and dribbling out of the sump breather. I'm wondering if I leave it overnight will the bubbles rise and escape (left breather cracked) or will this turn into a never ending headache. There must have been an air pocket in the intake when I refilled the sump. Anyone had the problem and found a fix?

1 minute ago, agrimog said:

hydraulics tend to self bleed, so yes most of the bubbles will come out, but if its been overfilled, there no space for the return fluid to go and as its coming in at high pressure it will cause the tank to foam up

Ok cool, I expected a little overflow as the oil level found its valence, but the foaming worries me. Do you think I should suck out a bit tomorrow before starting it? 

Yeh, hydraulics don’t tend to like over filling.. I guess there was still some oil in pump, lines and  filter. when you refilled,  it was a bit to much.

Id check in the morn, it will be coldas. And if the height is still way high remove some, hopefully it’s easy.  Then Run  gently for little and check again 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wonky said:

Yeh, hydraulics don’t tend to like over filling.. I guess there was still some oil in pump, lines and  filter. when you refilled,  it was a bit to much.

Id check in the morn, it will be coldas. And if the height is still way high remove some, hopefully it’s easy.  Then Run  gently for little and check again 

Cheers, will report back tomorrow

• Like 1