Fruit trees and orchards

Mark2

5 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

Some espalier I restored a few years ago lots of walled garden trees. Plus 2 very old historical orchards. Years of neglect trees lost every storm. About 200 trees done over 3 years. Job done everyone happy.2013-09-23+13.39.31.jpg

Thats very much like my friends Walled Garden. The Trees are along the walls though. Looks beautiful. What a lovely job to have. :) 

Peasgood thanks for that info some of that is correct some not. My favourites are garden/hygiene to break the breeding cycle, encouraging garden birds, the amount of pests a pair of feeding parent birds can deal with is huge!

plus keeping your tree strong and healthy by pruning ! Like us humans it’s when we’re weak we fall prey to illness. A moribund tree will fall prey to pests and diseases!

regarding bees v nicatenoids don’t forget bees will travel miles to good source crops and down wind of arable crops will be contaminated ! bees to! restrictions have been put in place ! But it’s  a proven fact bee colony calapse is a sereous issue! Most of our fruit and veg are dependent on bees pollination! wild or honey ? bee !!

Trigger thanks! Take a while to google Iford Manor and take a look at images! It will blow your mind ! 

I’ll be mentioning the above. As I did a hell of lot there,I need to get photos scanned onto computer before I can show the orchards.

Relivent point to this thread— get good at pruning fruit—- do fruit in gdns like this, to a fast high standard ! They will welcome you with open arms— then amenity trees—- forestry—- good working environment !

so where were we! Making one apple tree pay? How do we define pay. Long term v short term benifit!

Trigger ok back to growing nut’s 

if they can put a home grown melon on the table at Xmas we can grow nuts in Scotland — if it’s windy plant a wind break. 

Get first class stock (we get what we pay for)

get them local grown ! V important that ! Imported plants will not of evolved for your climate, good stuff in ya planting hole, so they come up fast and strong, no waterlogging. Make real real sure they don’t dry out esp first year. Grow single stemmed for squirrel protection, rabbit and deer proof. Hope that helps ! Send pics as ya go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark2 said:

Trigger ok back to growing nut’s 

if they can put a home grown melon on the table at Xmas we can grow nuts in Scotland — if it’s windy plant a wind break. 

Get first class stock (we get what we pay for)

get them local grown ! V important that ! Imported plants will not of evolved for your climate, good stuff in ya planting hole, so they come up fast and strong, no waterlogging. Make real real sure they don’t dry out esp first year. Grow single stemmed for squirrel protection, rabbit and deer proof. Hope that helps ! Send pics as ya go.

Thanks for the heads up. :)  A lot of info I need there. :) 

What did you mean regarding the part about wind? 

Re- wind and wind break— if the planting site is in a very exposed situation , there’s a strong chance of leaf scorch particularly in the first season as bound to be a bit of root damage/ stress from nusery transport and planting.

for a perminat wind break to your site — google/YouTube — shelter belt planting (more detailed)

for temp —grow tubes are good  or windbreak netting (google) 

bit scientific but ‘mycorrhiza’ for planting new trees! If you know it great if not google !

lastly bare in mind the best walnuts come from the med more sun makes for an - oily nut, our lack of sun makes for higher water content but, good results with cultivars help.

on that note I recommend smallholder magazines/sites!

good luck and happy new year !!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark2 said:

Hi guys, my turn to ask for advice! How come one of my comments keeps reaccuring ? 

Is it some thinking i’m doing wrong ? Help !

Dam computers never did like um ! But happy new year all !

Possibly a slow connection and you are hitting the submit button twice.  It shouldn’t happen really 

• Like 1