Starting up in the industry

Tom Meadows

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to the website.

My name is Tom. I'm 27 and I live in west Lancashire. I have worked in a variety of job roles since I left school from warehousing to customer service. I an active lad with a strong working ethic. My most recent job roles in the outdoor education industry has heavily increased my interests in nature and I would like pursue a career in Forestry & Arboriculture.

I have been researching the industry on the internet and I have become familiar with the qualification and courses that are on offer to start my journey to become qualified however, I was hoping to get some valuable information from people actually working in the industry right now.

Is there a bare minimum of qualification that your require to become an assistant or a trainee arborist?

Is it a good idea to complete a theory based course beforehand? eg. ABC Level 2 Certificate in Arboriculture / C&G Level 2 Diploma in Forestry & Arboriculture

Do employers take on fresh in experienced people who are straight out of getting their tickets or do they prefer to train and qualify their staff instead?

Apart from this one is does anyone know other sites that have useful information on the industry?

What is the typical time scale if there is one, that it takes to set up and get qualified within the industry?

I understand that I have asked quite a few questions and I'm not expecting all my questions to be answered at once however any response or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated and I'm very keen to learn more and get started.

Cheers 

Tom Meadows

I’m 32, just done a career change, I got CS30/31, 38, and 39, plus stump grinder and woodchipper tickets on a 4 week course. I picked up a trial day with a dude easily enough even though I had essentially zero real-world experience, and was offered a job off the back of it, but I seriously doubt that I would have had any success, or at least so quickly, without at least 30/31. Personally I’d recommend that as a bare minimum, and if you can spare the time and cash for a bit more, then go for it.

Two other guys on my course had similar success, albeit with a fair bit more practical work experience than I’d had.

If nothing else, it gives you a chance to make some really stupid mistakes (and learning from them) in the relatively-forgiving arena of an educational  environment, instead of next to a paying customer’s greenhouse.

Good luck dude!

Edited by peds
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, peds said:

I’m 32, just done a career change, I got CS30/31, 38, and 39, plus stump grinder and woodchipper tickets on a 4 week course. I picked up a trial day with a dude easily enough even though I had essentially zero real-world experience, and was offered a job off the back of it, but I seriously doubt that I would have had any success, or at least so quickly, without at least 30/31. Personally I’d recommend that as a bare minimum, and if you can spare the time and cash for a bit more, then go for it.

Hey dude,

Cheers for your advise that's massively helped dude!

As well as the practical quals have you done any theory based learning or have you just been learning on the job?

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom,

I wouldn't bother with theory stuff at your stage. A chainsaw ticket (30/31), as mentioned before makes you useful to an employer and is a skill you have the rest of your life. The theory you can do later on if you really commit to it. If you have 30/31 you should be able to get some trial days with someone in your area. All the best. Jan.

1 minute ago, jfc said:

Hi Tom,

I wouldn't bother with theory stuff at your stage. A chainsaw ticket (30/31), as mentioned before makes you useful to an employer and is a skill you have the rest of your life. The theory you can do later on if you really commit to it. If you have 30/31 you should be able to get some trial days with someone in your area. All the best. Jan.

Hi Jan,

Thankyou for your reply, that makes a lot of sense. Tom

Hi Tom, 

I would get CS30/31 and a reliable saw first, this makes you employable. The theory/botanical stuff can be done by burying your head in books.

If you want to work in Arb the next step would be CS38, this would make you a viable grounds man, being able to cut and perform rescue.

A couple of one day LANTRA courses such as wood chipper, stump grinder and your looking like someone worth employing.

One thing to bear in mind though, all these tickets demonstrate that you are competent to use said equipment, but you are far from the finished article, this is when you start learning the job proper, experience cannot be rushed.

Do NOT work for free, you need paying but accept this may initially be less than you want.

Good luck 

• Like 1