Continuing the theme of 'pimp my forwarder'....

Big J

19 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

And don’t forget that feeding a chipper (by hand or mechanically) is much much harder if you can’t see the feed rollers clearly - guessing what’s going on down there is a real pain, more so on smaller machines. Mounting any sort of chipping or branch logging machine on your unit for crane feeding needs careful consideration in terms of how/where you position the indeed so the operator can monitor it. 

It’s turntable so you swing it around from the travel position, crank the steering a bit and you’ll see straight in it?

Eddie.

1 hour ago, LGP Eddie said:

Just put an image of the Jensen up so people can grasp what we are talking about?

Basically demountable from such a road tow chassis on to the back of that compact Forwarder to feed by crane or hand.

Eddie.

76C058F6-C11A-4E89-9263-356BC13928B6.jpeg

That dies ook a decent compact bit of kit.

Must admit never  worked with many road towed chippers mainly all been tracked or PTO mounted

I would imagine with that sort of tyle of chipper it would be realatively easy to alter the body to make it detachable from the road chasis.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be that expensive/hard to weld up a purely off road chassis to fit it, either twin heavy duty quad wheels or even some sort of basic undriven track system, see plenty of modified peat work trailers with modified track systems covering wheels

Couple that with some hydralic jacks/legs u could simply lift its body up itself and wheel the different chasis/forwarder in.

But as been said all more money buying then adapting kit depends hw often u'd use it?

Whereas if u could somehow devise an off road trailer u could just wheel a hired chipper onto saves u laying a lot of money out on a chipper which are usually easy/cheap to hire

1 hour ago, Big J said:

I think you'd just be chipping to waste. Alternatively you could get an old farm tipping trailer and chip straight into that and then tip out. I've no idea how you'd best load it to an 8 wheeler though, as there are no concrete pads close by or telehandlers to load it.

I use this.?

08C12EBB-E228-4BEB-A548-8746AACF1748.jpeg

19194521-DEE3-45F0-825D-A451CB7CC15A.jpeg

F9E7FCDC-A95E-4C6C-8821-277CA3CABAB4.jpeg

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

That's nice !

I'm intrigued as to how the now chip gets forwarded roadside and loaded into an Arctic bulker or 8 wheeler? ?

In the bigger clearfell sites they generally forward the brash off as is with a normal forwarder (possibly dug out 1st with a 360 if well mulched into ground) and chipped on the roadside straight into wagons. Think down south they sometimes can bale the brash for chipping elsewhere or at roadside.

Mibee look on Jenkinsons website (i imigine it will be a fancy site if anything like there calanders) probably have photos of them chipping into there atrics. They have a big hgv based chipper type thing. Looks a beast of a machinr, certainly wouldn't want to try and keep it going by hand

6 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

That dies ook a decent compact bit of kit.

Must admit never  worked with many road towed chippers mainly all been tracked or PTO mounted

I would imagine with that sort of tyle of chipper it would be realatively easy to alter the body to make it detachable from the road chasis.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be that expensive/hard to weld up a purely off road chassis to fit it, either twin heavy duty quad wheels or even some sort of basic undriven track system, see plenty of modified peat work trailers with modified track systems covering wheels

Couple that with some hydralic jacks/legs u could simply lift its body up itself and wheel the different chasis/forwarder in.

But as been said all more money buying then adapting kit depends hw often u'd use it?

Whereas if u could somehow devise an off road trailer u could just wheel a hired chipper onto saves u laying a lot of money out on a chipper which are usually easy/cheap to hire

I think the main idea is to take advantage of the forwarders off road ability with driven axles, combined with the crane setup to carry a chipper unit besides its main forwarding role.

The fact that the Chipper Unit could be retained as Road tow or Forwarder based would be a bonus.

Eddie.

4 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

I think the main idea is to take advantage of the forwarders off road ability with driven axles, combined with the crane setup to carry a chipper unit besides its main forwarding role.

The fact that the Chipper Unit could be retained as Road tow or Forwarder based would be a bonus.

Eddie.

Aye but its no good if the crane either can't lift the chipper or too heavy for the bunk.

Detahing it from the road chasis might make it light enough?? Or atleast the chasis wouldn't get damaged by any accidents while working or un/loading

Towing behind a custom made LGP trailer is the next best thing (even add a hydralic land drive? but all extra money) its either that or u go to smaller chippers it can handle but lose the grab feeding?

4 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Aye but its no good if the crane either can't lift the chipper or too heavy for the bunk.

Detahing it from the road chasis might make it light enough?? Or atleast the chasis wouldn't get damaged by any accidents while working or un/loading

Towing behind a custom made LGP trailer is the next best thing (even add a hydralic land drive? but all extra money) its either that or u go to smaller chippers it can handle but lose the grab feeding?

I’d do it a simple 4 leg system and a hi lift jack like a portacabin.

I’d say that Jensen off it’s Chassis would sit on this machine fine, if I’ve looked at the right link.

I nearly built such a setup until Lincoln came along and filled the niche with his Tracked Woodsman, but he can’t forward much with it!?

Eddie.

8 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

That’s odd because I’ve sat on enough jobs and fed 8” Först’s and the like with an 8 tonner an awful lot faster than guys by hand, simply because you can pick something up much bigger a lot more often without breaking sweat?

I have Lincoln Ashton sit behind my Liebherr with a small crane fed Woodsman, it’s remarkable what can be done in a shift by that setup, this just scales it down a notch.

Having the crane handles everything oversize easily too.

No need to look at it as just brash, plenty of jobs need chipper setups, look at the popularity of the mini and Bandit setups about now, this would be self contained and do the forwarding after if required.

Maybe I just work on different type of projects?

Eddie.

Feeding a chipper with an excavator is a different proposal to feeding a small mounted chipper with a small mounted crane. And this isn’t a site clearance job - the main role is harvesting any timber of value. All that will be left is small brash, not hulking great lengths of heavy timber. I stand by my thoughts that it would be quicker fed by hand on this scale. There would be a lot of repositioning with that sized crane just to reach the brash for a start - I can’t see it being viable unfortunately.