Hello climbing question CS38

The BJG

Hi there

I'm Ben,this is my first post I think on here, but have been reading and lurking for a while.

I passed my CS30 today and am now waiting to do the 31 when one becomes available.

I have possibly got a chance to do a CS38 in January,

So to get to the point of my post, do I need a basic knowledge of climbing beforehand? The college have said they will provide harnesses etc for the course. I'm just wondering if I should try and climb somewhere before to get an idea what it's all about.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated

Thanks

The colledge should teach you from scratch although they may do 1 or 2 day introduction courses which are worth doing. If you know someone who can show you some knots ie bowline, figure 8, prussic knot etc then that would be worth while. Also the tree climbers companion is a good book to get you head round some stuff. I`m sure you`ve climbed a tree before. What the colledge teach is a technique for climbing with ropes and is best learnt from someone who knows to avoid bad habits.

Thanks for that.

Yes I've climbed a tree before, but never with ropes, and I used to be a scout many years ago, so can tie a knot or two. But I've never climbed using a rope before so I wasn't too sure whether I should try and do a bit first.

Thanks for that anyway. Just need to save some pennies now.

Thanks again

Ben

Thanks for that.

Yes I've climbed a tree before, but never with ropes, and I used to be a scout many years ago, so can tie a knot or two. But I've never climbed using a rope before so I wasn't too sure whether I should try and do a bit first.

Thanks for that anyway. Just need to save some pennies now.

Thanks again

Ben

download the assessment schedule from nptc site

NPTC | Assignment Schedules

but just watch as they are changing

but not that much

Hi Ben,

I actually did my CS 38 only last week, i was a bit aprehensive about climbing too as i have no experience with ropes, knots and harnesses's etc. I called the training centre to ask if i would be thrown in with people who were there just for the qualification but may actually be quite experienced climbers, they reassured me that if you're a novice or experienced it does'nt matter as they start from scratch with everyone and that proved to be correct. I found that 3 of the 4 of us on the course had no experience at all, it seemed that everyone had been trying to practise knots seen on Youtube aswell but there was'nt any need as everything required was covered on the course.

Hope thats put you're mind at rest.