Biochar to improve soil water retention.

Gary Prentice

5 hours ago, treeseer said:

I seldom see trees that are unsalvageable; what are the criteria for that judgment?

The 5 m of tipped soil along with all the compaction in doing so Guy.

I'm specifying soil remediation work for the trees at the bottom of the slope, after removing the tipped mass, but those that are under several metres and already in a poor physiological and or structural condition are either beyond salvage or not worth the effort to attempt to do so. The original ground level of the beech below was circa 2 m to the left of the tree and four metres to the right!

20180619_151520456_iOS.jpg

20180619_151919205_iOS.jpg

Edited by Gary Prentice

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Bloody hell ! Shoot the developers as an example to ze otherss ! K

You always so pessimistic! :lol:

If people didn't make mistakes we'd all be out of work. Believe it or not, the owner showed forethought to protect the trees by leaving a nice little well around them, so that soil wasn't piled against the stem :thumbup1:  

Anyway, it's giving me a chance to play hero, riding in to save the day and all the trees. The clients happy, planning is happy and the TO is happy. Every cloud has a silver lining. 

Edit. To be fair, that beech was goosed anyway, I've been documenting its decline over the last few years.

Edited by Gary Prentice

Well, Gary, must be the week of puerile complaints from residents bored of daytime tv that has tarnished my mood-plus it's a Monday ! An I don't like Mondays  ! *gets rifle*  i'll let them run a bit.... ;) k

• Haha 1

Thanks; pictures speak a multitude of verbiage.

Surprising how smooth-barked beech tolerate fill--the one here had 1m of red clay on the uphill side for 19 years before I cleared the flare; never missed a beat.   http://www.historictreecare.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Detective-Dendro-The-Case-of-the-Wonderous-Washboard.pdf