Poles

AHPP

I’ve only just started using a pole for trees. I was mad not to before. It’s brilliant.

IMG_4365.jpg

IMG_4366.jpg

It’s a twelve foot fibreglass canoe pole with a coat hook cable tied to the end. I left the cable ties untidy for the photo because I’m cultivating the look of a scruffy cowboy who’s surprisingly good at trees.

The main uses I’ve got out of it so far are:

-groundsmen using it to steer rigged bits away from fences etc

-clearing hangers

-passing my climbing line over crotches (either above me or sideways, often into other trees)

-snapping low dead bits off

-reaching rigging ropes

-remotely tip tying

-probably other stuff; it’s really useful

Being able to loft your climbing line with it is the main thing I like at the moment. My arms are two feet long and the pole is twelve. I can climb a tree in fourteen feet leaps. Five lofts is seventy feet. Add thirty for a ladder and that’s a big tree without much effort if you can climb ropes efficiently.

It’s not as inconvenient as you think to have it with you in the tree.

I hope this helps someone kill trees better and make more money.

Yeah. I follow. I’m not worried because I’ve always been good at not losing condition. My favourite is when I take kids rock climbing, usually in big boots and tweed, spend all day watching boulderers (who are all ripped as fuck and have very fashionable hats) trying certain problems and then ask if they mind me having a go just as I’m leaving. Even though I’ve not rock climbed seriously for years, I usually flash it and then coolly leave with their dignity and their girlfriends.

Also not worried because I’m not an especially good (tree) climber now and I still get them down well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

When I read the title, I half expected to find Vespasian frothing and foaming over immigration.

I'm terribly judgemental these days...

Stuart

Well I did wonder if you mean't Polish Poles or just plain Poles..

I recently bought one of those Stein poles myself, gonna add the rake and hook maybe in future..

And you might not of realized it but I don't mind Immigration from other European countries..  as far as I'm concerned Poland can decamp en'mass into England..