Career changer seeking experience/labour/trainee position

SimpleSimon

Hi all,

Perhaps this is a long shot, I don't know, but at the risk of sounding naive I'm wondering if anybody can offer me any work on a part time basis to fit around current shift work? (one or two days a week. If all goes well I can increase that over time)

I'm looking to move away from my career as a support worker for children with SEN and challenging behaviour. It's very enjoyable, often very difficult, but it's not what I see myself doing for the rest of my working life.

I've got a CS30/31 course booked in July and will look to pass my trailer test before then (funds allowing). I have EFAW, H+S, COSHH certificates from current job.

I'd be especially interested in forestry, conservation or estate maintenance type work, but any experience would be welcome!

I'm not scared of hard graft (in fact I like it!) and I tend to learn quickly so you won't be babysitting me. Can provide own PPE and look to get hold of anything else as needed.

If anybody can offer anything please get in touch.

Simon 

1 hour ago, SimpleSimon said:

Hi all,

Perhaps this is a long shot, I don't know, but at the risk of sounding naive I'm wondering if anybody can offer me any work on a part time basis to fit around current shift work? (one or two days a week. If all goes well I can increase that over time)

I'm looking to move away from my career as a support worker for children with SEN and challenging behaviour. It's very enjoyable, often very difficult, but it's not what I see myself doing for the rest of my working life.

I've got a CS30/31 course booked in July and will look to pass my trailer test before then (funds allowing). I have EFAW, H+S, COSHH certificates from current job.

I'd be especially interested in forestry, conservation or estate maintenance type work, but any experience would be welcome!

I'm not scared of hard graft (in fact I like it!) and I tend to learn quickly so you won't be babysitting me. Can provide own PPE and look to get hold of anything else as needed.

If anybody can offer anything please get in touch.

Simon 

IF you was only nearer ?.

Still looking, still hopeful. I thought I may have something coming but the chap hasn't called me.  

I have an understanding of ropework, rigging, knots, etc from former life as a rock climber and a high ropes instructor... From reading up and watching some videos it looks like the nomenclature and accepted norms are different in the tree game but the basics are much the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump up the list 

I'd also welcome any advice from anybody even if you can't help with work/experience. Will I be better off waiting until after I've done the CS30/31 before approaching firms directly? Am I more likely to find full-time work than part time to fit around current shifts (I.e give up my other job sooner rather than later?) 

I've been brushing up/refreshing some tree knowledge. Anything else I could be cracking on with aside from saving up for more CS courses?

My advice would be don't do anymore cs courses. Doing 30/31 shows that your serious about a change of career and means you can do some saw work straight away. But anything else would be a waste of your time and money at this stage. It's possible that you won't get on with tree work. Can I ask how old you are? I've helped 2 people in your position and neither were cut out for tree work no matter how keen they seemed.

Thanks for that, makes sense.

I'm 31 this year. I worked for a couple of years in my late teens/early 20s as a high ropes and climbing instructor at outdoor pursuits centres. Early starts, late finishes, out all day in all weather, long hours, hard graft building and repairing stuff in the off season. I loved it! Obviously it's a different ball game to tree work but it's not like my only experience is in an office. However I appreciate what you say about it not being for everyone. I also once worked in a Yamaha bike dealer for a couple of months thinking it would be great. It was awful xD