Compression tester

Ratman

Hi all, very recent newbie on here, would just like to pick at anyones knowledge who can help. Was brought up on a farm so had use of chainsaws for a long time now, my dad dragged a couple of old stihl’s out of his shed so i’ve started playing around with them in my spare time. I’m a hgv mechanic by trade so got a pretty good understanding of engines big and small. Just wondered if any of you guys had any recommendations for buying a compression tester to suit these small 2 stroke engines? I have a set with most fittings but are obviously for use with the big 6 cylinder diesel engines, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ratman

2 hours ago, Ratman said:

Hi all, very recent newbie on here, would just like to pick at anyones knowledge who can help. Was brought up on a farm so had use of chainsaws for a long time now, my dad dragged a couple of old stihl’s out of his shed so i’ve started playing around with them in my spare time. I’m a hgv mechanic by trade so got a pretty good understanding of engines big and small. Just wondered if any of you guys had any recommendations for buying a compression tester to suit these small 2 stroke engines? I have a set with most fittings but are obviously for use with the big 6 cylinder diesel engines, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ratman

Give spud a PM if you get no replies . He will give you a recommendation .  He tunes and ports saws . ....User name spudulike . Actual name Steve Gum .

I have a gunsun one with a rubber end which you can sort of hold over the spark hole and pull the saw over a few times if you stand on it right. I have found that it rarely tells you anything you don't already know though. If you pick a saw up by the starter cord and it drops to the ground compression is poor. If it slowly moves to the ground in stages it's pretty good.

A mityvac is far more useful for testing crank case vacuum and pressure etc.

Also if unsure worth just pulling the exhaust off and having a deeks at the piston, ring and cylinder through that port.

What models are they? Have fun!

• Like 2

I have a stihl 021 as my first saw for regular use, had it for nearly 7 yrs now and never given an ounce of bother, had a carb kit and a couple of adjustments but thats it. Recently bought myself a very very tidy 026C and i LOVE it. Its only a hobby for me really but i just love everything about chainsaws, think they’re ace, i’ve definitely caught the bug.

This site is driving me potty, i’m i better posting in timeline section or doing what i’m doing? Kinda feel lost somehow. [emoji849]
Think the 024 wood boss wants crank bearings, it whines on overrun coming off throttle, will spin clutch and drum off it first to make sure its not related, only ever had the 018, 023, in bits before, not done one where you split casings yet. Got a TS400 with what sounds like a big end gone from what i can hear / feel from pulling on starter rope to look at too..... love messing ?