MS200T rebuild tips

mcmoonter

My MS200T has a fair bit of crank float (side to side not up and down). What I can see of the bore and the piston looks to be in good condition. Compression still good. 

Rather than risk damaging what is a reasonable saw for the want of a couple of bearings, seals and gaskets, I'm going to strip it down and replace them along with some new rings while I'm in there. 

In anticipation of the parts arriving, I need some advice on a couple of things. 

What at is the best way to remove the flywheel? 

What at is the best way to press/pull the bearings and seals into place? 

Should I use any sealer (if so, what type? ) to the seals to help install and seal them

Should I heat the crankcase / freeze the bearings to get them to fit more easily? 

Should I use any sealer on the gasket between the crank case halves? (Again if so, what type?)

I've worked on lots of car engines in the past, but I've never stripped and rebuilt a two stroke chainsaw engine before. 

Any advice would be welcome. 

Thanks, Peter

I thought that was the norm with these 200's, I think it's all down to the bearings with the side to side floating, Iirc needle bearings.. It is if there is any  up and down play. which is a no no.

if the pressure & vac test is good and the compression test is good, I'd leave it as it is.

but I'm happy to be told I don't know cr@p ?

Cheers

Oh dear9_9 The bearings in the MS200 are like big needle bearings, there is ALWAYS end float on the crank even when new! It isn't an issue, was designed like that and causes no problems.

If you had taken your saw to a decent tech, you would have probably saved a whole lot of time and money as they would have only replaced what was necessary rather than just replacing parts on a whim with no diagnosis or inspection.

I had a customer recently send a whole load of parts with his saw and barely used any of them so...there you go!

Thanks for the input guys. 

I had a bad experience at my local Stihl agent which put me off even going back to ask for advice. Thankfully on that occasion I managed to retrieve my saw in bits and rebuild it at minimal expense. 

While I'm here can anyone recommend a good Indy saw engineer in Fife or the central belt of Scotland for future reference? 

I can can keep the new spares in a drawer for a rainy day or I might have a scout around for a fixer upper 

Edited by mcmoonter

Not sure of any in fife. If you have major problems send to spud 2 posts up as he does an excellent and reasonable priced service and he will port if you req. Easy enough to post to him