British Softwood Market; seems wierd...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it just be down to logistics. Fernworthy has no good road links. It all has to go through Chagford on small lorries. What with the cost of diesel etc it may be uneconomic to shift it to a suitable market?

Better going as firewood locally!

Chagford! tell me about it! Fernworthy wood is going out from roadside tho; soussons is the worst; just stacks and stacks of timber slowly sinking!

Most of the timber for fencing comes in from sweden and finland from what I've been told, thats why all the fencing suppliers had no wood the other year as they reckoned was to wet for them to fell any over there or something, mind as soon as supplies came back online fencing prices shot up :001_rolleyes:

Most of the timber for fencing comes in from sweden and finland from what I've been told, thats why all the fencing suppliers had no wood the other year as they reckoned was to wet for them to fell any over there or something, mind as soon as supplies came back online fencing prices shot up :001_rolleyes:

Really...:001_huh:

Not sure who told you that. I've seen boatloads of stakes coming in from Latvia, but I've seen thousands of tonnes of fencing harvested in the UK. I have a mate running a harvester and he cuts nothing but fencing year in year out.

I can get £40+ a tonne for fencing material.

Really...:001_huh:

Not sure who told you that. I've seen boatloads of stakes coming in from Latvia, but I've seen thousands of tonnes of fencing harvested in the UK. I have a mate running a harvester and he cuts nothing but fencing year in year out.

I can get £40+ a tonne for fencing material.

Cant remember but do know there were a couple of weeks when I should of been busy and everytime went to the suppliers the yard was empty, I do know they were getting fencing from ETC sawmills in Ellesmere port at the time, think they use someone in wales now but the stuff they get in is sopping wet needs 2 of you to pick up an 8ft 7-8" strainer :001_rolleyes:

Cant remember but do know there were a couple of weeks when I should of been busy and everytime went to the suppliers the yard was empty, I do know they were getting fencing from ETC sawmills in Ellesmere port at the time, think they use someone in wales now but the stuff they get in is sopping wet needs 2 of you to pick up an 8ft 7-8" strainer :001_rolleyes:

Probably bought in to the port untreated and paid by the ton and then treated here and sold by the piece.. :sneaky2: