Slashing up an old Oak

gibbon

I'm not sure why its dying back. No external signs and no major changes on site. The LA boys felled a similar sized one right beside it which had more dieback.

I can see why some people may not agree with the approach. The LA gave the spec and asked for a 5m reduction. I went for this type of prune for 2 reasons. 1) I didn't think I could reduce it by 5m without it looking topped. 2) Regardless of how its pruned it will more than likely continue to continue to die back. I hope it will look more natural like this than like a half dead hat stand.

1 advantage of this type of pruning over reducing and "shaping", is that by approaching a non-convormist shape you can leave long healthy branches almost intact and shorten declining limbs without have to fret too much about uniformity. I hate reducing the few healthy branches on a sick tree just for cosmetic reasons

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took these this morning whilst setting up some more work on the same site.Its a similar reducion on another old Oak that we did last week. It was reduced by 3-4m (no before photos). Full of cavities/cracks all could be retained by slashing up the ends of the limbs to simulate natural failures.

21122009069.jpg.99c84f7d6c6a8c9ff78b5cd2ac468cc6.jpg

21122009067.jpg.b046a04f475d6f3035e68020200a5be6.jpg

nice to see that not everyone feels that tree reductions must leve the tree looking like a lolly pop (not a dig at anyone on here) i personally like to keep the tree looking as un uniformed as possible . on this job i think the corronet cuts are well chosen and really finnished the job off well .

Great work guys!!

Wow! I'v never seen that done before.

Hi Gibbon. Im new here.

I can see the benefits of that type of reduction but some of the people i work for would have a fit if i did that :lol:

Does the job take much longer doing it that way as opposed to the "traditional way"?

• 2 weeks later...