What’s the silliest tpo you have come across?

Steve Bullman

3 minutes ago, Adam M said:

We have TPOs on whole roadside copses by the house, which are in the garden.  Full of overgrown Laurel and Elder in between a few nice Holly and Yew.  I do not know who put these orders on or what the procedure is.  They were placed in the 1980s.  Is asking for a review sensible or does it open another can of worms?

Is it different in different areas?  

Can anyone apply to put a TPO on any tree anonymously?

About 7 years ago I had a garden which i had felled a lot of tree in so owner could build a new house trees were sycamores willow hazels and laurels. Once house was built 1 of the neighbours had a woodland order put on the rest of the garden were there was Oaks Ash and other very nice trees so we decided which trees we wanted TPO's put on and got tree officer out there to look and decide if we could get woodland order lifted and he was quite happy to lift it, we did leave 1 tree off the list we had put together so he thought he also had a say in what had TPO's . 

Putting a woodland order on a domestic garden is, I think, a bit naughty, as is very restrictive to the reasonable enjoyment and use of the owner.

The TO may have thought that changing to specific trees was more towards the spirit of the legislation and easier to deal with, preventing repeated applications for work in the future.

just my thoughts..

1 minute ago, Gary Prentice said:

Putting a woodland order on a domestic garden is, I think, a bit naughty, as is very restrictive to the reasonable enjoyment and use of the owner.

The TO may have thought that changing to specific trees was more towards the spirit of the legislation and easier to deal with, preventing repeated applications for work in the future.

just my thoughts..

Unless it was, like a 250 Hectare "garden" totally agree!  Heard about a hilarious situation tonight that I'll have to tell about offline!! 

10 minutes ago, woody paul said:

About 7 years ago I had a garden which i had felled a lot of tree in so owner could build a new house trees were sycamores willow hazels and laurels. Once house was built 1 of the neighbours had a woodland order put on the rest of the garden were there was Oaks Ash and other very nice trees so we decided which trees we wanted TPO's put on and got tree officer out there to look and decide if we could get woodland order lifted and he was quite happy to lift it, we did leave 1 tree off the list we had put together so he thought he also had a say in what had TPO's . 

It should be similar throughout all LPA's but "public amenity" is defined differently, or not at all by most.

Anyone can request a TPO be made. It's up to the LPA whether they serve one though.

As Mark Bolam said though, crap trees only serve to devalue TPO's to the public. They lead to awkward situations where there are unauthorised works; have fun rocking up with a black notepad and truncheon when someone's had enough of their rear garden goat willow!