Brexit ! what will this mean ? ( lets get a good thread going )

digaholedumper

I must apologise, it's actually 5,000 Roma in Glasgow. It's 3,500 Roma in one area of Glasgow.

What will a single Roma cost the taxpayer? £10k a year each? That's £50,000,000 to look after Glasgow's Roma community. Do you not think that money could be better spent elsewhere?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/govanhill-a-close-community-where-threats-make-it-hard-to-speak-out-0w2kfp69l

"Natalie, who said she did not want her real name to be used, knows Govanhill’s 3,500-strong Roma population better than most."

It’s 5000 total for Scotland, but ‘Roma’ does not mean they are all foreign, the government report uses the term Roma to cover all travellers/gypsies, of which Scotland has had a healthy population of for the past 500 years, slightly before the eu was formed.
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, javelin10 said:

Do you have any proof that every Roma just sells 'Big Issue' or that most EU citizens over here are Roma? Or are you just picking a convenient unrepresentative sample that seems to justify your bias? Maybe round your way there aren't many foreigners, but where I grew up there are 100's of thousands, and they all do the same jobs as the Brits and do them just as well, and the city is a much better place for them.

I never said all EU migrants are Roma...

Most people here will be self employed or work in a small company. Most people here will know that more workers means wages go down. It's just an economic rule... However you Bremainers still argue that opening the floodgates to millions of EU migrants doesn't effect wages for Brits 9_9 If EU migration hadn't forced so many Brits onto the poverty line it would almost be funny.

Anyway, I asked you for some proof that EU migrants paid more in tax than they took from the taxpayer. You can't find any proof because migrants are a drain to the taxpayer. 

1 hour ago, javelin10 said:

Yes but it takes someone with a slightly more sophisticated mind than that of the average 12 year old to realise that an economy is not a closed system. When more people come and do work, then they create wealth, keep some for themselves, and then spend most of that, creating more jobs elsewhere, no matter their nationality. There is never a finite number of jobs, I've heard that fallacy argued before.

Our problem in the UK is that no-one calls out bad working conditions and no-one feels able to ask for a pay rise because we've been drip fed the line (by the tory press) that unions are bad for the economy and we should always leave things to the 'market'. In that environment, where many jobs are unskilled, it's no wonder foreigners are doing them, because we don't want to do them anymore.

Many EU migrants work in Britain but spend their wages in their home country. How does that create more jobs in Britain? I know Brits that lost their jobs because EU migrants would do their jobs for less money. When Brits spend less money it means less jobs...

You can argue about "fallacys" all you like  but many people here know of people that have lost their jobs due to migration...

Companies can treat workers like dirt becaue there is a pool of EU migrants that will accept rubbish working conditions. Sports Direct weren't paying minimum wage, they got away with it because so many migrant think £6 an hour is a fortune.

I work on a building site and it's the Migrants that accept absolutedly rubbish money and conditions.... Employers know if they want workers that will accept dangerous working condition for £5 an hour they have to get migrants ;)

1 hour ago, javelin10 said:

There are schools in Tower Hamlets where more then 50% of the kids arrive not speaking English, but they learn fast and they get excellent results in those schools, in one of the most deprived boroughs of the country. When I first went to nursery I only spoke Spanish. I don't even remember learning English but I didn't need any support because I just learned it off my school mates. By the time I was in juniors I had no accent and by the time I left primary my English was as good as anyone's. You're making mountains out of molehills; you may put a few foreign kids into school but what you get out is British adults.

Sorry, I was saying migration put a strain on public services. How does you learning English dispute that fact?

Theres not enough houses for Brits, yet we house masses of migrants. Do you think you learning English magically conjures up some houses? 

I think its sickening how ex squaddies are homeless and sleeping rough while at the same time we give social housing to migrants... 

[mention=43667]Richard 1234[/mention]I don't have residency; I was born here and have been a British citizen and only a British citizen from birth. Having foreign family means only that I am perhaps more 'relaxed' about being around foreigners than some of my compatriots.

Ok very similar I just assumed from your lack of English going into schooling that you came here very young. The point is the same though. I’m relaxed with foreigners I’ve probably got more friends that are immigrants than are as I get on better in most cases with them.
Housing everyone from wherever they have come from is the main problem in my eyes. Governments for decades have not allowed land to be built on. People moan about greenbelt but there actually isn’t that much and plenty of other space to use.
81a680e40dcdd7e8d9a73a80d8958da5.jpg03b283dc042b4d873577705a9834217b.jpg

4 minutes ago, matelot said:

I never said all EU migrants are Roma...

Most people here will be self employed or work in a small company. Most people here will know that more workers means wages go down. It's just an economic rule... However you Bremainers still argue that opening the floodgates to millions of EU migrants doesn't effect wages for Brits 9_9 If EU migration hadn't forced so many Brits onto the poverty line it would almost be funny.

Anyway, I asked you for some proof that EU migrants paid more in tax than they took from the taxpayer. You can't find any proof because migrants are a drain to the taxpayer. 

Many EU migrants work in Britain but spend their wages in their home country. How does that create more jobs in Britain? I know Brits that lost their jobs because EU migrants would do their jobs for less money. When Brits spend less money it means less jobs...

You can argue about "fallacys" all you like  but many people here know of people that have lost their jobs due to migration...

Companies can treat workers like dirt becaue there is a pool of EU migrants that will accept rubbish working conditions. Sports Direct weren't paying minimum wage, they got away with it because so many migrant think £6 an hour is a fortune.

I work on a building site and it's the Migrants that accept absolutedly rubbish money and conditions.... Employers know if they want workers that will accept dangerous working condition for £5 an hour they have to get migrants ;)

Do you think there could be another solution? Bare with me .....

How about building firms pay proper wages as not to price people out of the job. 

Ill say it for the umpteenth time, I have no problem with immigration in fact I welcome it in a controlled and skilled manner. 

Heck im not blowing my own trumpet but I’d compete against anyone for any potential job be it Brit or immigrant I fancy my chances! If you won’t back yourself go home. 

I’m still dumbfounded @matelot at how much you bang on the immigrant drum and how they take our jobs yet you where/are happy to earn as an immigrant!!!

@matelotplease answer these 2 questions honestly. . .

1 when you worked away did you spend every penny you earned in said host country?

2 do you see yourself as a hypocrit? 

43 minutes ago, john p said:

It’s 5000 total for Scotland, but ‘Roma’ does not mean they are all foreign, the government report uses the term Roma to cover all travellers/gypsies, of which Scotland has had a healthy population of for the past 500 years, slightly before the eu was formed.

No, I think you might be mistaken.... The article clearly says the Roma are from Romania and Slovakia.....

I've seen a report saying there are 200,000 Roma in the UK.... In a time of cutbacks for Brits we suddenly have enough cash to look after 200,000 Roma that are generally unemployable and renowned for crime... 

I can tell by the quality of your arguments you're a Bremainer.

4 minutes ago, WesD said:

Do you think there could be another solution? Bare with me .....

How about building firms pay proper wages as not to price people out of the job. 

Ill say it for the umpteenth time, I have no problem with immigration in fact I welcome it in a controlled and skilled manner. 

Heck im not blowing my own trumpet but I’d compete against anyone for any potential job be it Brit or immigrant I fancy my chances! If you won’t back yourself go home. 

I’m still dumbfounded @matelot at how much you bang on the immigrant drum and how they take our jobs yet you where/are happy to earn as an immigrant!!!

@matelotplease answer these 2 questions honestly. . .

1 when you worked away did you spend every penny you earned in said host country?

2 do you see yourself as a hypocrit? 

I have no problem with a points based immigration system. 

1. I saved 90% of my salary.

2. I worked in a job that no local could have done. Without blowing my trumpet my skill set was way above what local engineers had. It's not really part of Arab culture to become a hardworking white collar professional.

10 minutes ago, matelot said:

I have no problem with a points based immigration system. 

1. I saved 90% of my salary.

2. I worked in a job that no local could have done. Without blowing my trumpet my skill set was way above what local engineers had. It's not really part of Arab culture to become a hardworking white collar professional.

So you where ok taking a job away from a local and being a paid immigrant. 

You where also ok taking 90% of your salary out of the hosts economy and bringing it back to Britain. 

Yet ... 

Your not ok with migrants working in the UK. 

Your not ok with migrants sending money home. 

Can you at at least see the hypocrisy?

There was more to voting leave than immigration yet that’s the only drum your prepared to bang. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WesD said:

So you where ok taking a job away from a local and being a paid immigrant. 

You where also ok taking 90% of your salary out of the hosts economy and bringing it back to Britain. 

Yet ... 

Your not ok with migrants working in the UK. 

Your not ok with migrants sending money home. 

Can you at at least see the hypocrisy?

There was more to voting leave than immigration yet that’s the only drum your prepared to bang. 

Why don't you look online and see how many Arab universities rank in the world's top universities? Honestly, the technical skills in the Middle East are generally low.... 

I was an "expat" and not an "immigrant". I wasn't there to stay long term and I didn't need to rely on the charity of Omani taxpayers...