Defender 110 tipper advise needed

sihart100

Hi all, im after a bit of advise on whats best to do. 

Ive got a 110 Hi Cap tipper (3500kg) that struggles to carry any decent weight at all, and sways all over the place with any weight on it.... About 18 months ago I had new terrafirma shocks and oem landrover heavy duty springs and helpers fitted all round but they made no diffrence at all!!!! so I gave up and just use it for little jobs and carrying kit etc as i also run a transit...

I've been pretty busy with moving house and a few other things over the last year or so, so its been put to the bottom of my to do list!!! but im at the point where i need to sort it or get something better!!!

When I was looking at upgrading the suspension in the past most uprated springs were just 1 spring for the back but mines got 1 small spring inside another, so I went for new standard fit parts for ease, but these are obversely not up for carrying the weight we need for tree work so whats the best uprated springs for a defender? 

Also whats the best tyre choices and sizes? as if i'm keeping it i up will upgrade the wheels and trees as its still got the standard 7.50r16 wheels and trees on it.

Regards Simon

IMG_4023.JPG

What is it you have? Td5 have you any more pics from the side? The build of your body and what it's made off is key in my experience. 

I have 110's and 130's both 3.5t and both carry well. Anti roll bars will help massively but you shouldnt need anything other than the standard dual springs unless you want to overload it. Ours all have ally bodies and are played by the builder to carry 1.3ton legally. Our 130's will carry 1.8 and still be acceptable on the road but not amazing. 

What is it you have? Td5 have you any more pics from the side? The build of your body and what it's made off is key in my experience. 

I have 110's and 130's both 3.5t and both carry well. Anti roll bars will help massively but you shouldnt need anything other than the standard dual springs unless you want to overload it. Ours all have ally bodies and are played by the builder to carry 1.3ton legally. Our 130's will carry 1.8 and still be acceptable on the road but not amazing. 

It’s a td5 and the tipping body is steel floor and corner posts but everything else is alloy planks... even when it had the hicap body on it it struggled with logs in it... it’s also got anti roll bars fitted...f9472a5ff788c3e9fb9084660a8a6f2a.jpg3be46aa10988f25c8bff7ff55f04c850.jpg

Haha just some small logs mate. 

It's hard to call as the standard hi cap again we have one and can take a fair load. Are you trying to tow too? 

What are you comparing the drive too as it's always going to be a strange unnerving experience fully loaded in a defender lol. 

To be honest if theres a ton bag of logs on the back it struggles!!! the back end sits in the arches with hardly any weight at all. if its towing wile loaded it would only be a little sub 750 chipper, but to be honest the towing bit doesn't make any difference. most people ive spoke to who's got defenders say theres can carry the weight fine which makes me think somethings not right.

The problem with a lot of 110 conversions are the rear body over hang so most of the weight is behind axle which gives tail swing.

My 130 has brit part heavy duty springs  with Pro comp 2'' extra shock to compensate for the long springs no anti roll bar on rear travels great rolls a bit if you drive it like a nob.

I did follow a 110 tipper Friday night which rolled a bit on corner and it was empty but the body looked highly mounted.    

Haven’t got a Landy but my hilux conversation looks the same and I was advised from the company that my original 5 leaf springs would be ok, they weren’t at all chipper and basic kit slammed it on the ground. Upgrade to a 7 leaf spring instead, massive difference and had them on for four years now and still great. Got my leaf springs from , midland road springs.