Husqvarna cant hook ineffective

Not long ago i bought a 130cm Husqvarna felling bar for coppicing, we've since found that despite not looking dissimilar to one of the other bloke's bars, the cant hook is hopeless; on any size stem - it just skids round? This isn't just me, 3 of us have tried it. No point in ordering another hook if that might be rubbish too, so i'll bell Husqvarna on Monday and ask what they can do. Anybody else found this, 70 odd quid for something that won't twist a hanger out of another tree isn't really up to scratch

Bore the bar in and shove the bar in that and roll it that way.  Have you tried sharpening the hook?

Not a good idea, in my opinion!
It means you're essentially attaching the lever in a way that might mean it can not be removed instantly. A normally functioning bar will only grip one way so when said hanger rolls away the bar will just fall off.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 18:17, kav said:

Both good points, also I've found a big bar on small stems doesn't grip as well so maybe try a smaller bar/hook? 

I would imagine that is the case, ur 130 is over 4ft and probably designed for far larger trees than I would of thought u'd be cutting for coppicing. Sharpening might help thou

Plus the other down side with the 4ft breaking bars I find the metal is just that wee bit too thick for even a 3/8th's chain and  have to bore a wee pocket for it.

great tool for big trees with plenty of leverage but the smaller 3ft size is a better tool on smaller trees

A lot of fair comment there- defo the case that the thickness of the steel exceeds the cut width that most of us leave, also the fact that the longer bar may grip a decent sized stem but not smaller stuff. I actually found a few days back that it bit just fine into 12 inch chestnut, but spins on lesser diameters. Time for a smaller bar in addition