twin wall flue makes

tomm156

hello everyone.

I'm once again after some advice on my wood burner install.

thanks to everyone for there comments 're choice of wood burner. I have decided on a burley hollywell with log store.

I have had two quotes for supply only of the twin wall. 

one is 1900 ish for sfl nova twin wall from a local supplier. seems good quality.

the other is for 1000 for a duraflue twin wall from the stove fitters warehouse. never seen this before and have no idea about the quality or after care.

the supplier for the duraflue seemed confident that the quality is on pat with other makes but then again he is trying to sell it. seems a genuine guy tho.

any opinions or even better someone that has dealt with either of these would be fantastic.  

I don't mind spending the extra on a better make so long as the price reflects the quality and longativity.

thanks again

Tom

As far as I'm aware Duraflue is one of the good makes.  I installed 8m of 5" last year for a stove i installed at home and just last weekend I installed another 8m of 6" for a second stove.  I've had no problems with the installs, the liner seems very robust.  My chimneys both have a 25ish  degree bend in them about halfway up so the flue liner took some pushing and shoving from below, and some heaving on a rope from above, to coax around the bend but it seems to stand up to it fine.  Obviously I've only run one stove, and only for one winter (about 1200 hours operation) but I've had no trouble.  I opted for the 904 grade stainless even though I currently only burn wood, the 904 grade will stand up better to the sulphur in coal of you ever burn that, and it isn't much more costly.  However...how much are buying!!!  its 30 quid a meter, so unless your prices include nstallation, are you really buying 30+m or are you confusing metres with feet? 

I bought my 5" stuff from stovefitterswarehouse and all seemed well, except they failed to deliver on the original day.  They were very apologetic when i called to chase it up, but i had to call.  So i suggest a phone call if you order with them, don't just rely on the friendly sounding emails you get.

Second time I ordered from someone else as it was slightly cheaper as they seemed to have a sale on.  I forget who though...I got it back in about March and its been sat on my patio in a big coil for the last 6 months!

If installing yourself (which isn't hard IF you can get to your chimney top easily, and I can) don't forget your other bits, the hanging cowl for the top and a nose cone to help pull the liner through.  I found my 5" cone worked fine for the 6 inch liner too, it screwed in place fairly neatly inside the liner instead of outside, and I wrapped a bit of duct tape around the join to smooth it over.

Oh and just to add, I see the burley needs a 6 inch flue, having done both 5" and 6" I can confirm what the stovefittersmanual guy says, 6" is a bit heavier and a bit stiffer making it a good deal harder to install.  If you have any doubt that it will fit up your chimney, and you've not yet bought the Burley, think carefully.  A stove that takes a 5" liner could make the liner install much easier.  My second flue was a full brick square, so 8+" square, with just one slight bend.  The hardest bit was actually getting it bent up and into the fireplace and off up (and across) into the start of the flue.  Getting the nose around the bend half way took 2 or 3 goes, but then it slide up ok, but it needed me pilling from the top, my brother giving it all he had pushing at the fireplace, and my dad and mum guiding the rest of the liner across the dining room and though the conservatory towards my brother.  It needed ALL of us.  The 5" went in a virtually identical flue but slightly narrower at a bit under a full brick square.  I did it the same way but only had dad and mum down below, not my brother.  It went in a teenie bit quicker even with a lot less muscle power and the slightly narrower flue.  I definitely needed the extra muscle from my brother for the 6" liner. 

1 minute ago, neiln said:

Oh and just to add, I see the burley needs a 6 inch flue, having done both 5" and 6" I can confirm what the stovefittersmanual guy says, 6" is a bit heavier and a bit stiffer making it a good deal harder to install.  If you have any doubt that it will fit up your chimney, and you've not yet bought the Burley, think carefully.  A stove that takes a 5" liner could make the liner install much easier.  My second flue was a full brick square, so 8+" square, with just one slight bend.  The hardest bit was actually getting it bent up and into the fireplace and off up (and across) into the start of the flue.  Getting the nose around the bend half way took 2 or 3 goes, but then it slide up ok, but it needed me pilling from the top, my brother giving it all he had pushing at the fireplace, and my dad and mum guiding the rest of the liner across the dining room and though the conservatory towards my brother.  It needed ALL of us.  The 5" went in a virtually identical flue but slightly narrower at a bit under a full brick square.  I did it the same way but only had dad and mum down below, not my brother.  It went in a teenie bit quicker even with a lot less muscle power and the slightly narrower flue.  I definitely needed the extra muscle from my brother for the 6" liner. 

Twinwall, flue liner, not the same thing...?

Ahhh,. If the op is looking at the rigid insulated pipe then yep, ignore me, mostly!  Other than afaik, for liner at least, duraflue is one of the better brands so I suspect their other flue products are fair too.

That would explain the cost..... Oops.