Amey are employing bouncers in Sheffield!

inthewoods

Typical media headline. The job description is worth a read, to gather evidence primarily when incidences occur and to report.

Speaking to a lad at college last month who is working in Sheffield. Normal nonsense of protesters who want their own way and are vocal about it. We've all been there at one time or another and I know there's no reasoning with them.

Good on Amey trying to allow the staff to get on with their jobs.

Typical media headline. The job description is worth a read, to gather evidence primarily when incidences occur and to report.

Speaking to a lad at college last month who is working in Sheffield. Normal nonsense of protesters who want their own way and are vocal about it. We've all been there at one time or another and I know there's no reasoning with them.

Good on Amey trying to allow the staff to get on with their jobs.

Somewhat surprised and taken aback that you seem to be 'on-side' with the great (disgraceful perhaps a better precursor) Sheffield tree massacre Gary 😳🤔😳

You're probably not the only one:biggrin:

Originally I opposed it, based on the publicity and information available. But having read Bill Andersons articles and comments I revised my thinking. Bill was, IIRC, a TO at Sheffield under budget restraints for many years. Lots of work was put off and neglected because there was no funds.

He explained it somewhere in an article, that it was sound practice to replace a percentage of the urban/LA tree stock each year, now there doing many yrs at once.

I don't agree with SCCs (and Ameys) handling of it, the monitoring committees decisions/reports/recommendations seem to be being over-ridden, the PR is atrocious etc, but I've jumped off of the bandwagon of public condemnation and am sitting on the fence a bit more. I'm not informed enough to decide either way nor have the time, energy or inclination to be so. But I know that there is more than one side to the story and as sure has hell wouldn't wish to be a contractor working there.

People absolutely love and adore trees, we all know that, particularly when they belong to someone else. They'll kick up a fuss about you felling a street tree (that doesn't shade their house, drop honeydew on their car etc) but then want the one annoying them chopped. I imagine (more imagining Stubby:biggrin:) that STAG is full of people like that, so can't automatically sympathise or empathise with them because it seems like the right thing to do.

I've talked to Bill once or twice, what I've come away with is that things aren't quite as simple as the anti's would like you to believe. The whole mess could probably have been handled better, but I believe however it could have been there would still have been opposition.

My two pence worth:thumbup1:

Personally I think it's great that people give a shi and are actively trying to protect the trees. It's nice to know they still mean something to people! ( I speak as an ex road protestor)

I agree with you, they should/we should.

I'm honestly not sure if Sheffield could be amicably resolved even if it had been handled better from day one though. People are always going to have different opinions as what should be done, how it should be done and whether it even needs doing in the first place.

I don't really believe that Amey, or any other major corporation, put altruism first but am pragmatic enough to accept that that is a fact of life. I don't even know how much say SCC have now that they're tied into the PFI contract. It's all above me.

I do struggle with people who are right, no matter what science or knowledge says and action groups seem to attract people like that. Like I said, there's two sides to the story, three if you count the media, and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

If I can find Bill Andersons article, I'll post it.

• Like 1

Personally I think it's great that people give a shi and are actively trying to protect the trees. It's nice to know they still mean something to people! ( I speak as an ex road protestor)

I like that people get excited about stuff - esp where it demonstrates how badly the public sector might be managing it's responsibility to the public.

Out of interest John, which road(s)??

I like that people get excited about stuff - esp where it demonstrates how badly the public sector might be managing it's responsibility to the public.

Out of interest John, which road(s)??

A30 fairmile/allercombe, Birmingham northern relief Rd, a320 Guildford and Lyminge forest in Kent. They were really good times

• 2 weeks later...