Is it worth it?

samtheman365

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started my firewood business in spring 09 with a total investment of just under £9K (although I already had pick-up, trailer, 2 chainsaws). That included buying enough timber to process in to about 100 cubic metres.

I will be lucky to break even this year, and that's alright by me. I hope to double the out put next year and contribute towards some of the domestic bills etc

I don't want/need to work more than an average of 25 hours a week throughout the year so hopefully this will all fall in to place for me

We all have different circumstances and requirements from our chosen field of work ..... so most of what we do is down to personal choice based on our own individual values - I've chosen to work less and spend more time with my family

Good luck to everyone else out there selling logs

my plan is to take a wage of 20k then i can quit working and consuntrate on logs

ok thats as basic as it gets, what i mean is this

1)how many dumpy bags will it take so acheive a 20k wage, after fuel, maintenance, breakdowns, insurance, advertising, tax, and outlay of wood has been paid?

2)how much seasond wood would you need to acheive the above?

3)how much have you currently got split, stacked and seasoning intime for start of sales in october next year? (the answer is point 2 minimum)

Sam

I would want to see my 22k back in four years. So you need to see 25k a year after all running costs. After four years some of your kit will be worn and need replacing. I would try and find some dry cord wood or buy in logs ready to go. That way you can start building a customer base for next year. Sell bought in kindling and make a profit of five grand towards your 22k investment now. Just my idea no offence intended

Sam

I would want to see my 22k back in four years. So you need to see 25k a year after all running costs. After four years some of your kit will be worn and need replacing. I would try and find some dry cord wood or buy in logs ready to go. That way you can start building a customer base for next year. Sell bought in kindling and make a profit of five grand towards your 22k investment now. Just my idea no offence intended[/QUO

Im gearing up for next year so will be looking to build up a customer base as of feb 2010

what sort of turnover do you need to have (selling firewood) to be able to pay yourself £20K a year?

I was thinking some where between £30-35K, That's a lot of firewood to sell for a new business, that's why I'm happy doing my own thing - starting small and see how it grows - but I wouldn't want to depend on it for a full time living

ok thats as basic as it gets, what i mean is this

1)how many dumpy bags will it take so acheive a 20k wage, after fuel, maintenance, breakdowns, insurance, advertising, tax, and outlay of wood has been paid?

2)how much seasond wood would you need to acheive the above?

3)how much have you currently got split, stacked and seasoning intime for start of sales in october next year? (the answer is point 2 minimum)

my aim is to sell 5 cube a day 5 days a week from oct to march and that should give me the return i need