Neighbours 50ft tree/conifer 2m away from property. Advice gratefully recieved!

Dman77

Question

Hi Friendly tree experts.

Ive already checked in this section of the forum to see if my problem can be solved. There are similar threads but not exactly the same. Id appreciate some advice.

We are buying a house (early stages) and we are really worried that the neighbours 50ft ish tree/conifer which is 2m (trunk) away from our potential property (kitchen corner of the house) has roots all around our foundations waiting to cause untold destruction/subsidence.

No obvious cracks in exterior walls (no survey yet) but father inlaw has said to pull out the sale immediately as subsidence is a real possibility in ?years.

First of all - can anyone tell me what this is? This is a view from a neighbour (next to tree owner). Thats my potential house side wall.

IMG_3335.jpg.html?filters[user]=130370054&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

IMG_3335.jpg.html?sort=1&o=1

(Never uploaded so hope that worked)

Based on that tree, what roots are likely? Shallow/deep, known for damage?

This is deep surrey near M25 and told clay is likely. House built mid 50,s.

I really dont want to start a long process unnecessarly if you kind folk think id be nuts to touch a property with this massive thing 2 meters away

Ps the neighnour also has 4 smaller ones half height of this 1 m each away along the boundary so probably root city down there

Any comments welcome. We really are stressing over this.

Cheers all

Dave

• Answers 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

also, with regards to bargaining. its all pretty irrelevant when you wont get insurance.

'Dear mr insurance. can we have insurance on a property which the surveyor said has had definate movement and cracks likely due to a 60ft conifer which has its trunk 2 m away from kitchen which is showing the cracks'.

Good luck with that.

No the house wouldn't collapse, but this tree sprouted over the last 15 yrs so its likely damage from that.

As I say, the insurance would be a problem. I rang and checked with three of them. close trees and cracks are a big no no for them.

If you get another report with no tree to see would they pick up that the cracks are due to a tree? If the answer is no it's insurable surely......

If you get another survey with someone else and it costs £x and it makes it right for said insurance knock the money for the survey off price of the property and some for all the hassle. After all it's your dream home!

No the house wouldn't collapse, but this tree sprouted over the last 15 yrs so its likely damage from that.

As I say, the insurance would be a problem. I rang and checked with three of them. close trees and cracks are a big no no for them.

If the people selling the house originally were even half sharp they would have had the trees out and filled/painted the cracks in the house/pointing before photos and marketing the property.

This would mean the first time you viewed the property there would have been no question of the tree, cracks, subsidence, etc etc.

Which would leave you in exactly the same position you are in now. If you like it, buy it. Make the vendor pay for a survey if you are worried about it, sounds like they are struggling to sell it which leaves you in quite a nice position really.

If the people selling the house originally were even half sharp they would have had the trees out and filled/painted the cracks in the house/pointing before photos and marketing the property.

This would mean the first time you viewed the property there would have been no question of the tree, cracks, subsidence, etc etc.

Which would leave you in exactly the same position you are in now. If you like it, buy it. Make the vendor pay for a survey if you are worried about it, sounds like they are struggling to sell it which leaves you in quite a nice position really.

👍 my thoughts too.

you guys are braver than me.

Keep paying for surveys for until you find the one I want so I don't have to tell the insurance guys? I still know there is a problem with the house. That doesn't change.

Anyway, ive walked away 2 months ago and found a house since (fingers crossed on that one).

Back to my original point. The law changed in 2013 so Estate agents should have to pass on information to potential buyers that could effect their decision. A surveyor stating in black and white there is clear movement likely caused by close tree would certainly qualify as relevant information.

I bet the estate agent doesn't mention of of this.

you guys are braver than me.

Keep paying for surveys for until you find the one I want so I don't have to tell the insurance guys? I still know there is a problem with the house. That doesn't change.

Anyway, ive walked away 2 months ago and found a house since (fingers crossed on that one).

Back to my original point. The law changed in 2013 so Estate agents should have to pass on information to potential buyers that could effect their decision. A surveyor stating in black and white there is clear movement likely caused by close tree would certainly qualify as relevant information.

I bet the estate agent doesn't mention of of this.

The house has moved, not clear movement caused by the tree per se its 70 years old now you are not hiding the tree by getting another survey you are getting another opinion if he thinks there has been movement but now it's settled then your fine. The tree gone is a good thing the soil will return to its correct levels of moisture, we are all different that wouldn't have bothered me from buying my dream house.

It seems you have moved on however so I wish you all the best in the house you have settled on (sorry couldn't resist).