couple of random questions

flatyre

firstly I am in the middle of a landscaping job which I have received a deposit for which covers tools and materials. I won't be finished until after tomorrow therefore I won't get the final payment (profit) until next tax year. Does it matter? Secondly I looked at a small tree job (cherry tree removal and stump ground out) as part of a larger landscaping job today and the customer said a "tree surgeon" had already looked at it but when she said her brother might remove the tree if he removed the stump, he informed her he couldn't remove the stump as he wasn't insured to work below ground level. He also said the tree had been cut down at some point to just above the trunk as it thinned before branching out. I've seen many cherry trees with this 'step' and always thought it was their natural shape. Didn't get a photo of the tree but it looks the same as this....

walkway-garden-japanese-cherry-trees-white-red-white-line-marking-route-tree-73657599_zpsezpqy7y9.jpg

Anyway it got me thinking is he a real tree surgeon and therefore might have a point about separate insurance for doing stump work (because its below ground level)? Or is he talking Bo**ox as proven by his assessment of the cherry tree (if he's wrong)?

He may well be right.....or maybe he just didn't want to do the grinding if he wasn't getting the full job?

He also said the tree had been cut down at some point to just above the trunk as it thinned before branching out. I've seen many cherry trees with this 'step' and always thought it was their natural shape. Didn't get a photo of the tree but it looks the same as this....

?

That looks like a graft to me

The picture is more likely to be a graft union where the root stock is more vigorous than the scion, hence the difference in growth.

Not sure about the insurance thing as I have been off the tools for about 12 years. There is an NPTC cert for using stump grinders though, maybe that is what he is talking about. There are folk on here better positioned to answer that though than me.