ODDS on for Devolved Power in NI?

difflock

Was hoping either yourself or WRSNI would have some thoughts to share on this....

A totally radical thought (perhaps naive) but maybe that's what it could take to move forward....

What about the DUP saying, you know what, it was really close, SF have gained momentum, perhaps, for the sake of the people, we should propose that SF take the premiership this time, since we had it last time, and we'll take the deputy role.

Wouldn't that just be the magnanimous thing to do, demonstrate maturity and forward thinking and perhaps even provide some moral high ground for later given that the alternative is continued in-fighting and political point scoring possibly even leading to the imposition of direct rule from Westminster - which, against the background of devolution within the UK and beyond, surely can't be in the interest of the people of Ireland?

I know.....

It's just wistful thinking from a pleb, lucky we have highly intelligent and highly salaried politicians to take care of such grand matters of state.....

I had hoped for some moderate middle ground sanity to start to emerge, in line with Mike Nesbitt's comment that he would like to see UUP voters giving their 2nd/3rd/4th preference votes to the SDLP.

And presumably vise-versa.

Since, in conscience the DUP & SF can only be regarded as the 2 mainstream-extreme parties.

Interesting times indeed.

Is it possible that someone could yield in the short term in order to possibly gain, for the greater good of the people, in the longer term, or is it still a generation too soon?

Surely, and I know logic doesn't apply, there must come a time when Ireland becomes one nation?

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

SF/DUP are a complete waste of time, they make their living through their conflicting views and ambitions, afterall that's how they stay in power, divide and rule. Very disappointed with the election results, everyone talking about how we need change, then they get into that voting kiosk and stick their mark beside the same twisted bitter timewasters they voted for last time. I have a rule, I don't vote for anyone with a flag on their placard, unfortunately the politicians don't even bother canvassing, no need the majority of Protestants will vote DUP and the majority of Catholics will vote SF no matter what, sometimes I think this narrow minded province doesn't deserve peace:thumbdown:

As a reasonably educated 58 year old Presbyterian raised citizen of the United Kingdom, (who lost no close kin during the Troubles, but loathes the pure hyprocisy of the SF/IRA party.)

I believe I could stomach a United Ireland, IF, and only if SF/IRA admitted to their guilt and atrocities, and with after such a confession the likes of Gerry Adams (and the rest of the "Old Guard" ) retreating from public/political life.

Simply because the ROI is no longer in thrall to the RC Church.

BUT

The British minded population, of a United Ireland, would need protection from the JackBoot policies of o so sweet innocent SF.

N.B.

Pre partition, about 30% prods in the South, due to blatent discriminatory RC Church driven policies this rapidly dwindled to about 3%.

Oddly enough, the %age of RC's increased "up North", despite the Unionist control (50 years of misrule and all that!) during this same period.

marcus

P.S.

I did NOT vote DUP

Edited by difflock

I wouldn't care if we stayed British or became part of a united Ireland, though personally a more autonomous state verging on independent would be my first choice, whatever has a more stable economy. But yes the thought of terrorists being treated like hero's disgusts me, we wouldn't honour Isis with statues and sports stands.

As a reasonably educated 58 year old Presbyterian raised citizen of the United Kingdom, (who lost no close kin during the Troubles, but loathes the pure hyprocisy of the SF/IRA party.)

I believe I could stomach a United Ireland, IF, and only if SF/IRA admitted to their guilt and atrocities, and with after such a confession the likes of Gerry Adams (and the rest of the "Old Guard" ) retreating from public/political life.

Simply because the ROI is no longer in thrall to the RC Church.

BUT

The British minded population, of a United Ireland, would need protection from the JackBoot policies of o so sweet innocent SF.

N.B.

Pre partition, about 30% prods in the South, due to blatent discriminatory RC Church driven policies this rapidly dwindled to about 3%.

Oddly enough, the %age of RC's increased "up North", despite the Unionist control (50 years of misrule and all that!) during this same period.

marcus

P.S.

I did NOT vote DUP

According to figures i can find the protestant population would have been around 10% in 1891 so im not sure where your figure is from.

Both the Dup and Sf are scum.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk