Trailer axles for 3.5 ton

Gez28

I'm thinking of building myself a trailer to tow mostly behind a 12 ton wagon and sometimes a 4x4, So will be 3.5 ton max .

Will most likely be twin axle so the big question is what axles would everyone recommend?

I want something with strong tyres as trailer punctures drive me mad!

Don't want a really high bed either, will be around 16-18 ft long and 7ish wide.

Thanks

Hi been there and done that years ago with not great success by the time you have got your shopping list together and all costs 2 new decent axels withe wheels n tyres will cost 6-700 quid hitch 200 ish brakes and cables steel paint or galvanised it will soon add up, and is there not some legal thing these days where you would have to get it CE , VOSA or some other making scam approved just go and buy a Ifor Williams at least you will know its legal ,it will tow a dream and hold it value as home made won't no matter how much you spend.

IVA test is less than £100, so not that bad financially.

The costs soon add up though, as to get passed all the parts will have to be of approved standards to begin with I believe. So everything (axles, brake cables, hitch, lights, wiring, etc etc etc) needs to be CE approved before you stick it together which could add a fair bit to overall cost and hassle. If I understand the rules correctly it also means you can't use second hand parts in the construction?

If you're set on a unique build, this shouldn't make much difference. If you're looking to save money over an existing trailer it's probably a futile exercise.

IVA test is less than £100, so not that bad financially.

The costs soon add up though, as to get passed all the parts will have to be of approved standards to begin with I believe. So everything (axles, brake cables, hitch, lights, wiring, etc etc etc) needs to be CE approved before you stick it together which could add a fair bit to overall cost and hassle. If I understand the rules correctly it also means you can't use second hand parts in the construction?

If you're set on a unique build, this shouldn't make much difference. If you're looking to save money over an existing trailer it's probably a futile exercise.

So the test is the cheap bit.

All the hidden costs, welding rods, making jigs to ensure the trailer stays flat, hinges, latches etc etc.

Brian James galvanize their chassis somewhere in Wales I think. Doing just one would end up very expensive with the transport.

So the test is the cheap bit.

All the hidden costs, welding rods, making jigs to ensure the trailer stays flat, hinges, latches etc etc.

Brian James galvanize their chassis somewhere in Wales I think. Doing just one would end up very expensive with the transport.

Galvanising isn't that expensive, but rather overrated imho.

My previous truck was built in '88, painted chassis which is without significant rust to date.

My current truck is a '94, still original paintwork on the chassis and just about entirely free of rust even though it's an Iveco (don't ask about the rust on the cab...)

All trucks I have worked on have had painted chassis's (what's the plural of chassis?) and none have had any serious rust issues.

My three axle turntable trailer had a galvanised chassis and rusted. Nothing too bad, but not any better than a proper paint job.

Added benefit of a paint job is that you can leave all tube and box section sealed off, whereas when galvanising these have to be drilled for venting which in time allows moisture inside rusting the sections from the inside.

Edited by Daniël Bos

Galvanising isn't that expensive, but rather overrated imho.

My previous truck was built in '88, painted chassis which is without significant rust to date.

My current truck is a '94, still original paintwork on the chassis and just about entirely free of rust even though it's an Iveco (don't ask about the rust on the cab...)

All trucks I have worked on have had painted chassis's (what's the plural of chassis?) and none have had any serious rust issues.

My three axle turntable trailer had a galvanised chassis and rusted. Nothing too bad, but not any better than a proper paint job.

Added benefit of a paint job is that you can leave all tube and box section sealed off, whereas when galvanising these have to be drilled for venting which in time allows moisture inside rusting the sections from the inside.

Are you talking powdercoat or normal steel primer and brush on?