Stihl vs ECHO

dan123

Only used the stihl which was a decent enough saw. My only observation about the 2511 and other echo top handles is the build quality / robustness. I've seen several with missing covers leaving exposed wiring and when the 2511 launched there were pictures of people drilling the plastics to cable tie them on to prevent this. Personally that puts me off buying one although I can't comment on cutting performance as I haven't used an echo top handle.

I do rate some of their ground saws as I like their simplicity and lack of auto tune or equivalent.

Hi Lux,

That was me that had disappearing covers and i did use a some cable ties as extra security.

I reckon most saw manufacturers have issues with some models, be they big issues or small issues, i simply work around them as best i can.

Cable tying covers on a brand new saw is a bit concerning to some i guess, but having lost the spark plug cover and mid cover off the earlier Echo CS 2510 i thought i'd better 'take measures' to help stop this from happening on the replacement CS2511.

Even the earlier Stihl MS150T had problems with tool strop attachment points breaking and throttle handles getting damaged easily.

I was contemplating the Stihl 150T. I went for the Echo 2511 after some warranty issues with 2 Echo climbing saws and was most impressed at how the dealers and Echo UK handled the issues, that and the '2 year professional use' warranty swayed my decision.

John Meehan, I never mentioned the issue re; the covers popping off to my dealer but i would imagine Echo may replace them if they knew there was a problem, but they would not be modified in any way i guess and could also fall off! Hence my cable ties to stop it possibly happening (which it hadn't) on my CS2511.

• Like 2

Hi Lux,

That was me that had disappearing covers and i did use a some cable ties as extra security.

I reckon most saw manufacturers have issues with some models, be they big issues or small issues, i simply work around them as best i can.

Cable tying covers on a brand new saw is a bit concerning to some i guess, but having lost the spark plug cover and mid cover off the earlier Echo CS 2510 i thought i'd better 'take measures' to help stop this from happening on the replacement CS2511.

Even the earlier Stihl MS150T had problems with tool strop attachment points breaking and throttle handles getting damaged easily.

I was contemplating the Stihl 150T. I went for the Echo 2511 after some warranty issues with 2 Echo climbing saws and was most impressed at how the dealers and Echo UK handled the issues, that and the '2 year professional use' warranty swayed my decision.

John Meehan, I never mentioned the issue re; the covers popping off to my dealer but i would imagine Echo may replace them if they knew there was a problem, but they would not be modified in any way i guess and could also fall off! Hence my cable ties to stop it possibly happening (which it hadn't) on my CS2511.

If its a recurring thing then i might give the supplier a bell and see if we can get a new one. Then get the drill out. :-) thanks mate

Sent from my HTC One using Arbtalk mobile app

• 6 months later...
On 2/21/2017 at 18:45, dan123 said:

Hi all. Im After a new small top handle saw. What are the thoughts and preferences a Stihl ms150 or ECHO 2511TES. :confused1:

I made this video the other day - both the Stihl and Echo are on 1/4 pitch .043 brand new chains - watch and see who wins!

• Like 2

I've used both extensively and for me the echo is by far the better feeling and performing saw... when it's working.

Mines been in the shed for a month now after running issues. It's behaves well until it gets warm, then runs on to the point its dangerous.

I was advised by my supplier (via his technician) to tweak the carb, which hasn't helped.

Itll be going back under warranty soon. Hopefully it gets sorted as I'd hate to have to buy a 150. It feels cumbersome next too the echo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app