Conifer hedge removal

hamdogg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The quote earlier is regarding hedgerows regs, yes technically if the stems are over 75mm in a ca you'd need to notify the la. However, as their only means of protecting is with a TPO, and you can't TPO something which is clearly a hedge, I'd say crack on...

... If it is clearly a hedge, and not a row of trees...

Just had a chat with my local tree officer regarding the conifer hedge and he basically said hedges are not protected in a con area

Last job I did via Tree Officer said the same BUT if they over a specific size then it's a Row of Trees .

I tried convincing the Tree Officer that this Particular Conifer hedge was planted originally a hedge screen but it got out of hand so it became under the Conservation .

Ste

Last job I did via Tree Officer said the same BUT if they over a specific size then it's a Row of Trees .

I tried convincing the Tree Officer that this Particular Conifer hedge was planted originally a hedge screen but it got out of hand so it became under the Conservation .

Ste

It's a difficult one I suppose, but not one the council are gonna spend much money on trying to prosecute imo! They don't have enough money to collect bins once a week round my area [emoji23]

It's a difficult one I suppose, but not one the council are gonna spend much money on trying to prosecute imo! They don't have enough money to collect bins once a week round my area [emoji23]

Not round my Neck of Woods . ..Knowsley Borough Council will have your Balls strung up and push through Courts .

Ste

I know this relates to TPOs but the essence is the same of CAs, i.e. hedges are not (normally) covered:

Can shrubs and hedges be protected by a Tree Preservation Order?

Authorities may only use an Order to protect anything that may ordinarily be termed a tree. This would not normally include shrubs, but could include, for example, trees in a hedge or an old hedge which has become a line of trees of a reasonable height. The removal of countryside hedgerows is regulated under different legislation. See guidance on tree size in conservation areas.

Paragraph: 012 Reference ID: 36-012-20140306

Revision date: 06 03 2014

However, if they haven't been managed over the years and have become a distinct, important and visible "line of trees' maybe..

Cheers

Paul

Come on Paul, the law can't even define a tree, what chance do we have. When does a hedgerow change into significant trees? 20ft, 30ft or more.

Plenty of elders with orders on, most books describe them as shrubs! I'd ordinarily call them shrubs, along with certain laurel species- but over 75mm in CA's they're suddenly trees.

In the first instance, IMO, they are whatever the TO says they are, once that's established then argue the toss to do what the client wants. These sort of questions belong in that other thread - Unanswerable questions! :biggrin:

Come on Paul, the law can't even define a tree, what chance do we have. When does a hedgerow change into significant trees? 20ft, 30ft or more.

Plenty of elders with orders on, most books describe them as shrubs! I'd ordinarily call them shrubs, along with certain laurel species- but over 75mm in CA's they're suddenly trees.

In the first instance, IMO, they are whatever the TO says they are, once that's established then argue the toss to do what the client wants. These sort of questions belong in that other thread - Unanswerable questions! :biggrin:

Understood, but thought it might be useful to have it (the published guidance) included in the thread as a point of reference. Agreed that the TO will largely determine what is a tree but having knowledge of the guidance to perhaps influence such might be useful.

Semantics perhaps, but I differentiate between a hedge, typically a line of beech / cypress / laurel etc. usually planted on a property boundary, or close to, and maintained / trimmed maybe 2-3 times a year, and a hedgerow, typically occurring in a rural setting to define field boundaries and species including hawthorn / blackthorn / elder etc. Obviously there can be an overlap on the edge of towns but I think the distinction is worthy of note.

Clearly (distinct) trees can occur in either situation and may well be subject to legal controls TPO / CA / FC.

Thoughts out loud.

Cheers,

Paul

PS Elder TPO'd, what next...Cherry Laurel? :001_rolleyes: