Cheap groundies- worth it?

Billy

You want cheap. you get cheap. If you are willing to invest time and money in someone then so be it. Don't moan that the guys you employ are brainless, they possibly are, however if you are willing to train them and they improve then great. Then there are those that DONT want to graft, if this is the case with your present set up, then get rid and start again. I have a list if GOOD QUALITY GROUNDIES waiting for a call. I use the quality experienced guys for the difficult/serious jobs and will use some of my younger willing to learn and train on the less tricky jobs. Everyone gets paid what they are worth and we are all happy. On some contracts I will pay more for the best Climber/Groundie. Profit is good but reputation is King:thumbup:

The guys I work with are very careful to make sure I am ok with what they want me to do, and I have yet to be asked to do something I was wary of. I got showed how to use a lowering bollard and was fine straight off. Obviously, I don't set up the rigging but I'm still shown how it all works. I use a saw on the ground, having passed 30 and trained for 31 and am being given plenty of opportunity to get myself up to standard ready to re-take 31. I love the job, it is so different to what I did for the last 19 years and I actually look forward to what the next working day will teach me. :thumbup:

You want cheap. you get cheap. If you are willing to invest time and money in someone then so be it. Don't moan that the guys you employ are brainless

Chill out, i'm not employing them, and never would! I just have to work with them:thumbdown:

I had a cheap groundie a couple of years ago to help me and usual groundie....i was rigging down a big Sycamore and there were several statues underneath, when the last limb to be lowered was finished there was no risk of damaging anything with the last bits, but as the normal groundie untied the limb on the ground i looked over......only to see the "new" groundie turn round whilst holding a branch and knock one of these statues clean off its stand and it smashed!!! When the client came home she thought that it was my fault as i did the cutting!! Cheap groundies dont pay....even on simple jobs

last place i worked used foreign workers as ground staff! they had little or no english and wore trainers and jeans. try asking one of those guys to stick the chain back on your climbing saw when your fifty foot of the deck! even has a foreign guy doing surveys with a tomograph!! he cant even tell the difference between an ash and oak