What friction hitch are you on?

old skool

if trying anything new go slow and low! had a mate who was too proud to ask how i tied the vt just because he had a few months more climbing time than me! he nearly bounced after pulling himself about thirty feet up tending his slack then having that nasty feeling of no friction! branch and warm hand saved him

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have recently switched from using a simple 4wrap prusik for years to a VT with a petzl fixe pulley - i'm reaping the ergonomic benefits its a lot more responsive than any other knots i have tried. i wouldnt reccomend it for inexperienced climbers though but its definitely worth the time and effort of experimenting with different cords and varying your wraps and braids - keen to try the howard hitch too though it seems quite stiff with OP. any suggestions?

Mostly Blakes hitch because that was what I was taught. I have tried a few modified knots. I like the comfortable single handed small adjustments that the hitch gives but disslike the decent through thickly shooting trees because I am constantly trying to adjust to avoid snapping shoots. The blakes hitch can be used single handed for decending but it's not a good or safe idea to use it that way.

It's also pretty heavy wearing on the rope.

Reciently I doubled up the blakes hitch to give 3 over the rope and 4 above for a single line decent *Thumbs up* It worked a treat but would only be any good for straight decents.

Not really sure of the names of the couple of other nots I have used but I found none of them as all round comfortable for me as the hitch.

Now I'm off to learn what a VT is...

I`m all over the VT at the mo mainly in thanks to Mr Bullmans advice, cheers again Steve:thumbup:

I grew up with the prussic but always used to go back to it if others didnt work well. I have to say though that the short time I have used the VT I cant believe what ive been missing.:lol::thumbup:

Been on a blake for years but over the last few months ive been on a vt and to be fair i was unimpressed by it, but the last few weeks it seems to have clicked and it is a joy to climb with, the hand over hand is so much smoother than the body thrusts and i seem less sore and the ease it slack tenders with the hitchclimber just put a smile on my face:thumbup1:

so for anyone else trying it keep going as once you get the technique its great and im 43 and learning new tricks but thats thanks to the imput and advice on this forum. thanks :thumbup:

hey i've been in Gisborne for last 6 months but looking for work in South Island now - seems to be more work in central NI from what i've heard - what do you reckon?

there were jobs down South advertised on Trademe Jobs,last week.There are also a few in Wellington at the mo too.