Gearbox mystery

Daniël Bos

How far along its engaged travel does the gear lever move before it goes solid.

When trying to engage is there any noise from the box.

If you try to engage gear without pressing the clutch do you get a ratcheting sound.

Is the problem the same in reverse.

Not sure what you mean by that first question?

The only way to get it in gear is to force it in quickly, no noise though.

Same in all the gears when stationary, but when moving up or down the gears it's fine.

Haven't tried engaging gear without clutch.

Mybe an internal leak in the master cylinder...................

The pedal feels (very) firm, and does not change, also I'd expect the clutch to slowly engage when in gear for a while but clutch down like at traffic lights? It does not do that.

I've had that problem on an old car it was the synchros that were worn it was cured by changing to a synthetic oil in the box

If it was the synchro rings I'd expect it to be different for the different gears, in most cars first and second would go first. But it's all the gears so I thought that was thus ruled out?

No oil in box??

If there was no or low oil (which tbh I haven't checked:blushing:) it should be worst when cold? as what little lubrication there is gets flung around when moving?

Common problem on the discovery box as above mentioned it is the plastic Bush that the gear lever fits in swelling when the box warms up new ones are cheap and make the world of difference

The linkage moves freely, I've occasionally had to turn off engine, engage gear (smooth as...) start again and set off so the lever, linkage and selector yokes etc are free and smooth, warm or cold.

Think of it like this and assuming there is no problem with the clutch itself. Clutch pedal is pushed down and all things be equal the plate slides back off the flywheel on the spline and there is a gap between the drive plate and the two surfaces of the flywheel/clutch cover. Clutch is released so no problem.

Bring on condensation,rust,mud and general crap that gets into our sort of 4x4`s from wading or off roading , spline gets cacked up and the clutch plate cannot get back on the gearbox spline to clear the flywheel hence the drag.

A seizing pilot bearing can do the same.

Bob

This seems most likely the issue?

Not looking forward to pulling the box out from under it:thumbdown:

I'd try flushing the box through (and checking what comes out) and then refilling with fresh oil before starting any major dismantling - has worked well on vehicles ranging from elderly dumper trucks to more modern (!) land rovers

Think this'll be step one

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app