Fireworks

Billhook

I know I will be accused of being a grumpy old git but I have just returned from Copenhagen after Christmas and the New Year.

Christmas Eve was bad enough but the fireworks at the New Year started at about 5 pm and continued till 3 am.and I felt that I was in a war zone.

They were not an organised display but a whole series of mini bombs which were lit in the streets near cars.

All had exactly the same formula so there was no build up to a climax.

There were fireworks every night from December 23rd till I left on Jan 1st

How was it for you lot in the uk?

The pall of smoke which fell across the city and smaller towns like Rungsted was nearly as bad as 911 and we were wondering in these days of global warming and air pollution what is the actual damage inflicted on the environment let alone the lack of sleep for those that need it and terrified animals

I found fireworks a thing of wonder when I was a kid and as they became

more refined and the displays were well coordinated it was fun,

Now I find them just an irritant.

Am I turning into one of those people my parents used to warn me about!

This sounds like a very good description of what it was like in Vienna . Way over the top , uncontrolled and dangerous. The narrow streets and high rise buildings compound it even more . There was a stupid woman across from me just lighting bangers ( and these weren't no amateur ones )and just chucking them between parked cars , on the road etc without a care .I honestly thought my windows were gonna cave in and my 15 months old son was terrified . I'm no killjoy but it was ridiculous ..

I feel sorry for my dog she is terrified of them, goes wide eyed, shaking and starts panting, horrible to see. She is ok with one or two fire work bangs but after that it is misery for her until it is over.

On New Years Eve at our friend's house, their beautiful golden lab spent much of the time on the sofa with her head on my lap and my hand over her ears.

The two Airedales in my Avatar were very bold in all situations and used to me hunting with them and my 12 gauge where they never showed any kind of distress. In fact just going to the gun cupboard would start them off jumping around and barking with enthusiasm.

But they hated fireworks. Not timid enough to hide under the bed but you could tell they went quiet and could not sleep and were not happy

Both sadly gone now and missed.

This sounds like a very good description of what it was like in Vienna . Way over the top , uncontrolled and dangerous. The narrow streets and high rise buildings compound it even more . There was a stupid woman across from me just lighting bangers ( and these weren't no amateur ones )and just chucking them between parked cars , on the road etc without a care .I honestly thought my windows were gonna cave in and my 15 months old son was terrified . I'm no killjoy but it was ridiculous ..

glad you kept your cool, i would probably run out with a stick and tell her to f stop or ill give you (her) welly you btch