Dust masks

skc101fc

I've been cutting a fair number of fungi laced logs recently for clients, producing some gorgeous spalted slabs and planks, but being very aware of the strong essence of mushrooms/ fungus. Obviously this suggests that I'm heavily exposed to spores in the lungs.

Does anyone have any sensible, practical suggestions for dust masks that are comfortable to use for extended periods -disposable or otherwise. Not heavy intrusive or restrictive in any way otherwise I just wont use em! - Or is wood fungi not an issue at all in which case I'll just crack on.

Also needs to be weather resistant as all my work is outside.

Shaun

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Arbtalk mobile app

I've been cutting a fair number of fungi laced logs recently for clients, producing some gorgeous spalted slabs and planks, but being very aware of the strong essence of mushrooms/ fungus. Obviously this suggests that I'm heavily exposed to spores in the lungs.

Does anyone have any sensible, practical suggestions for dust masks that are comfortable to use for extended periods -disposable or otherwise. Not heavy intrusive or restrictive in any way otherwise I just wont use em! - Or is wood fungi not an issue at all in which case I'll just crack on.

Also needs to be weather resistant as all my work is outside.

Shaun

Do you have a beard? if you do a disposable P3 is useless for you. YOu might consider aforced air mask and helmet ......................

There should not be any fungal spores within the wood you are cutting as these are produced by the fruit bodies, which are external to the tree. However you may be breathing in the dust from mycelium within the wood. I would have thought disposable P3 masks would be adequate for this task. Or you could purchase a rubberised face mask with changeable dust filters if you feel you need a more secure fit. 3M stuff is usually good.

I assume you don't want to end up with a nasty case of butt rot!

There should not be any fungal spores within the wood you are cutting as these are produced by the fruit bodies, which are external to the tree. However you may be breathing in the dust from mycelium within the wood. I would have thought disposable P3 masks would be adequate for this task. Or you could purchase a rubberised face mask with changeable dust filters if you feel you need a more secure fit. 3M stuff is usually good.

I assume you don't want to end up with a nasty case of butt rot!

Butt rot, gut rot my missus reckons ive got them all anyway!!

I don't wear glasses/goggles anyway, so fogging isn't an issue.- oil and resin smeared clear lenses with rain droplets or saw cooling water mist are perhaps the wrong side of useless. Usually just using forestry helmet with mesh visor, so the 3 m type mask should do. Was just interested to know what others use.

Thanks