Best all round 3.5t arb truck under 15k

Harris tree care

Cheers all, iv just seen a transit 460 tipper does any one run one of these, I would get it down rated to 3.5t

Hello HTC,

Can anyone tell me why you would down rate a Transit 460 to a 350 when there are plenty of 3.5 tonners available on the market already or am i missing the point here, is there some advantage to doing this?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the bottom of Ty`s link there was a best tipper category and the Renault Master comes out on top with a 300kg bigger payload than the Transit, engines up to 133hp so none too shabby.

Best payload for 3.5t tipper | Parkers

The question should really be which tipper can get back from the tip quickest, there is not half an hours chipping capacity in any of them. With Vosa ramping up the pulls it may be better spending less on a truck and a bit more on running legal capacity like the 6.5 tonners, not physically bigger but over double the payload.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

At the bottom of Ty`s link there was a best tipper category and the Renault Master comes out on top with a 300kg bigger payload than the Transit, engines up to 133hp so none too shabby.

Best payload for 3.5t tipper | Parkers

Bob

Interesting reading. Big variations in chassis and tipper body weight, even if the bodies are mostly made by the same company. No surprise that the Transit was last. I do think that they have been trading on their past reputation for too long. Overpriced and unreliable, I am told.

Hello HTC,

Can anyone tell me why you would down rate a Transit 460 to a 350 when there are plenty of 3.5 tonners available on the market already or am i missing the point here, is there some advantage to doing this?

When I looked a couple of years ago the heavier transit was just a rerated 3.5 tonne one with the MAM now being the sum of the axle loads and a higher ratio final drive plus the ability to tow 2.8 tonne instead of 2.5.

My self I would go for an iveco , they are well priced , cheap on parts and there real good trucks , I've had 3 of them and I plan to have a 4 th

just picked up a ten year old 35c14 Daily tipper - 140bhp 3 litre , pulls much better up hills than my transit , and 3.5 ton towing on the Iveco. Pleased with it. Paid just under £3k, even if I end up spending another £3 on repairs over the next few years, still cheaper than a newer truck.

this place looks very good to me for arb, gardening trucks - they wash down, rust treat (obviously not welding) and prime then coat with epoxy mastic (same stuff applied to RNLI Ford Rangers) costs about 2000, seems a lot, but considering it for the Iveco (whole chassis, underside of tipper bed too), if it means it will give it years of protection and keep it from needing welding up.

EPOXY MASTIC EM121 RUST PROOFING PRICE LIST

The question should really be which tipper can get back from the tip quickest, there is not half an hours chipping capacity in any of them. With Vosa ramping up the pulls it may be better spending less on a truck and a bit more on running legal capacity like the 6.5 tonners, not physically bigger but over double the payload.

Bob

Simon above with the Isuzu posted a good thing a while back re capacity - he said get a big tipping trailer put tracked chipper in and on big jobs leave chipper on site (with minders) and take full tipper and high side tipping trailer away - so if the tipper (like Simons at 170bhp) is pokey enough and can legally tow 3.5ton, then you have maybe just under a ton in the back plus 2.5 ton on the trailer, so 3.5ton legally of chip without operating centre or o licence. Of course elaborate tool boxes and over specced greedy board frames, crew cabs etc mean less than a ton of chip in the truck, legally. However, on this point if the fine is a few grand this would have to be factored in to see if increased profits could cover it - obviously if you wipe out a family on the pavement overloaded it wouldn't

Edited by tree-fancier123