Multicar minimog type truck

forestgough

I know someone who bought a couple. First one was left over from the euro tunnel excavations.

Horrid to drive, woefully slow although carried a decent weight on the back.

No idea how available parts are. I wouldn't buy one but each to their own.

Multicar-

[ame]

[/ame]

The Muli looks a sturdier beast-

[ame]

[/ame]

There are also Schiltracs, similar things. Great for tinkering about in Alpine villages and hairpin bendy forest tracks, but they'd probably all be a bit horrible in UK commuter traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

Looked at one many years ago just because.

Top speed was about 60kph (40mph)

About the same size as a Bedford rascal 1/2 ton pick-up but rated at 1.5 tonnes hence the twin wheeled back axle.

Available with four wheel drive.

It was cheap less than a Landie in the days of the Iron Curtain.

The the wall came down, VW bought the rights and prices rose to place it under the Unimog, IIRC it started at about 6-8K pre VW interest and £25K after...

Meanwhile you can import a 4x4 version of the Honda/Suzuki 1/2 ton pick-up from Japan for a few hundred of your earth pounds or several thousand depending on age. These will need UK type approval but are probably the more affordable and can be had with automatic transmission.

Probably less useful than a side by side but more comfortable as they have a proper cab which can be important. The Suzuki can tow but remember the Japanese versions come with a 660cc engine not the huge petrol guzzling 1300 cc units that drove UK spec micro vans.

For those over 5'6 tall you'd need two one for each foot....

I owned a rascal pick-up as my first new vehicle and drove 14000miles in the first year before I purchased a rascal van and drove 98000 miles. Not fast or comfortable but they get the job done.

The Multi is slightly better as it has more capacity but it has the same narrow space cab so no more comfortable than a micro truck.

They find a lot of use as the base for street sweepers and are entertaining at 40mph. But a Landie SWB would probably be the better all rounder and only marginally less comfortable