Perreniopoplarphenia

David Humphries

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok I am still getting Rigidoporus and Perennipora confused?? I thought Perenniporia has same colour flesh when cut through...where as Rigidoporus has white flesh with orange/cinnamon coloured spore layer like in your photos?... see my attached pictures of this fungus found on a chestnut 2.5 metres above the ground? Cheers steve

Steve, the flesh of P. fraxinia appears to be lighter than the tube layer when brackets are young and forming, as with the ones on this Pop.

The flesh does then darken as the bodies age and appears similar in tone to the tubes, but you can still make out the difference in texture.

Rigidoporous ime, is more consistant in it's dual contrasting toning, and normally hosts the characteristic orange tube layer which is quite thin.

Hope this is of help.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/6233-perenniporia-fraxinea.html

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/6205-rigidoporus-ulmarius.html

Big thanks for all the positive comments guys, means a lot to our merry little team. :001_smile:

Steve, the flesh of P. fraxinia appears to be lighter than the tube layer when brackets are young and forming, as with the ones on this Pop.

The flesh does then darken as the bodies age and appears similar in tone to the tubes, but you can still make out the difference in texture.

Rigidoporous ime, is more consistant in it's dual contrasting toning, and normally hosts the characteristic orange tube layer which is quite thin.

Hope this is of help.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/6233-perenniporia-fraxinea.html

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/6205-rigidoporus-ulmarius.html

Big thanks for all the positive comments guys, means a lot to our merry little team. :001_smile:

Thanks!:thumbup:

• 1 month later...
The pathology bit......

It reads to me, that the tension roots on the down slope have become compromissed due to force load.

Armilaria, (mycelium in 3rd Pic, no rhizomorphs as yet) has attacked said stressed Tree.

Then, Perennioporia has jumped on board this little merry little myco-go-round and is now chomping away at the basal zone and roots of this poor victim, hence the decling canopy.

When I've got a back log of decompaction tasks, I will nip back and airspade the root plate to have a look at the state of decay around the rootplate, and post up the pictures..

So.....had the chance to go back and have a little look at the plate.

Could of uncovered more, but time only allowed this oportunity.

The above seems to ring true except that it appears the Armillaria was not only killing off the canopy but is degrading the roots as well, the White Rot decay of the Perennioporia through the butt, is at a relative early stage.

The older butress roots are become friable, whilst the smaller anchor roots are relatively sound and dynamic, hence the little amount of movement shown in the second vid when snatching the large piece of trunk over the roof.

Will try to get back to take one more slice of the stump, to assess the extent of white rot further down.

DSC03590.JPG.bdaaae87c0e63ae4afd5d9b761d86273.JPG

DSC03580.JPG.bf8d8a6095c0bcb2dd482feea935f712.JPG

DSC03578.JPG.aaec1bd8b50c88bc2b749122b2d6f276.JPG

DSC03564.JPG.0a0cc0ddb3d5ca5fe6cf7e3ceb372963.JPG

DSC03542.JPG.d4e6c959a707bfa1135064a85c46a2a1.JPG

DSC03534.JPG.d28d626c8640f92a3f33741f5480ccb8.JPG

DSC01614.JPG.2e56f04e4a86a037ab51e99520900a98.JPG

DSC01076.JPG.3825f9ddc03fc86f295ad14226e47695.JPG

Edited by Monkey-D

• 1 year later...
The pathology bit ...... Perenniporia has jumped on board this little merry little myco-go-round and is now chomping away at the basal zone and roots of this poor victim, hence the decling canopy.

David,

Did you microscopically check the spores : Perenniporia fraxinea 6,5-8,5 x 5-6,5 µm versus Oxiporus populinus 3,5-4,5 x 3-4,5 µm and/or the reaction of the in both species cream to pale wood coloured trama/context with Melzer's reagens, which is brown for P. fraxinea versus no change of colour for O. populinus ?

David,

Did you microscopically check the spores : Perenniporia fraxinea 6,5-8,5 x 5-6,5 µm versus Oxiporus populinus 3,5-4,5 x 3-4,5 µm and/or the reaction of the in both species cream to pale wood coloured trama/context with Melzer's reagens, which is brown for P. fraxinea versus no change of colour for O. populinus ?

No Gerrit I did not undertake the route to Id as listed above.

From my lay experience, I have listed these brackets as P. fraxinea, based on size (both Ryvarden & Roger Phillips describe O. populinus as a much smaller basidiocarp than P. fraxinea. Also the Flesh & tube layer appear to me to be a match for the descriptions of Perenniporia fraxinea.

Additionally we do have records of P. fraxinea on Poplus species here in the Uk going back to the 1980's (FRDBI)

The brackets on the Poplus stump also appear to be wholy perennial.

As opposed to Ryvardens remarks on O. populinus as being both annual & perennial.

I will however keep an open mind, as you have quite rightly pointed out the lack of science in my identification here :001_smile: