ms 640 pot n piston....?

toprotter

By lighter I was meaning not as strong, I think they have smaller bearings etc,

as you say the weight difference is very minimal.

064 arrived first, a few years later the 066 arrived, and sold side by side... i think the 064 dissapeared from this end of the world when the 660 appeared

the 064 has a physically lighter and very slightly narrower bottom end (weight and width are all in the flywheel construction)... the top end is about 5cc smaller than the 066.

parts do not interchange between the 064 and 066, as similar as they are, they are completely different saw chassis....

however, with a bit of modification, an 066 top end can be fitted to an 064 bottom, to create the lightest-weight 90cc stihl around...

064 arrived first, a few years later the 066 arrived, and sold side by side... i think the 064 dissapeared from this end of the world when the 660 appeared

the 064 has a physically lighter and very slightly narrower bottom end (weight and width are all in the flywheel construction)... the top end is about 5cc smaller than the 066.

parts do not interchange between the 064 and 066, as similar as they are, they are completely different saw chassis....

however, with a bit of modification, an 066 top end can be fitted to an 064 bottom, to create the lightest-weight 90cc stihl around...

Cheers for that :001_smile:

Its good to learn something new!!:thumbup:

wot mods are we talking fittings/bolts etc or carb jets or crank?

if memory serves... its not too complex to do.

the 064 cylinder bolts are M5 and the 066/660 are M6 so the 064 case needs drilling out and tapping for the bigger bolts. other than that, i think there is some minor grinding to do on the bottom of the 066 cylinder to allow fitment.

probably more effort than the +5cc is worth, i would just enjoy the lighter weight of a freshly re-built 064:thumbup1:

just thought someone may be interested in the state of the piston, the damage is on the exhaust side from the ring as you can see in the pic the piston is shot.

The ring had smeared its self on the pot and at first glance and feel it seemed badly scored.

but with some oil and wet n dry and a sharp knife I was able to clean off the smeared ring to find I might be able to save it.

I am waiting for a new piston so will find out if I will get away with it.

The only plus is when the saw stopped I didnt keep trying to pull it I left it well alone untill I had time to investigate................that may well have been my saving grace:thumbup1: we shall see

pot2.jpg.f1fdc5d8a7af35338b3bb0f8ea27b342.jpg

pot.jpg.933dbefdc500693bd27a859582a30856.jpg

piston.jpg.3e014cbe045f319a2e83b7f0382e00ec.jpg

I have just rebuilt a 660, the cylinder looked about the same as yours. Al Smith recommended oven cleaner for getting the slag off the cylinder.

I honed mine before putting it back together, came up nice, seems to run ok now.