Firewood guide poem

mistajay

Ok so the poem is not totally accurate

But there must be some truth to it, or there must be differences from wood in burning efficiency

Yes all wood burns as I can chop a tree and burn it straight away in the garden on the bonfire but don't mean it's great

For the last 3 years I've personally been burning seasoned beech and ash and it's good

Before that I was burning oak, apple etc and many other types and I'm no expert on wood but I had very different amounts of success with the varieties to some not wanting to burn very well to others not lasting and some giving no heat at all compared to others, I do have a moisture meter and all was similar in dryness.

My point is not all wood does burn equal, I'm lucky to get all my wood for free so it's all good but some is more good than others

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Here's the bit that matters:-

C6H10O5(s) + 6O2(g) --> 6CO2(g) + 5H2O(g)

Getting that 6O2 is real poetry.

^^^ I don't have a clue what the numbers are lol

Can you educate me farmer tom

I like to see these numbers in pic with not much in the burner on lowf0ac98782036f259837ade368104df8d.jpg

Tonight the temperature has dropped a lot outside where I'm at

Buncha Limey reprobates

Pickin on dead old ladies

Stoking the fires of Hades

Drooling mad dogs with rabies

Belittling your own better halves

Macho egos vulgar and crass

Uncouth trolls guarding dilapidated bridges

Collecting their tolls with holes in their britches

Jomoco

Ok so the poem is not totally accurate

But there must be some truth to it, or there must be differences from wood in burning efficiency

Yes all wood burns as I can chop a tree and burn it straight away in the garden on the bonfire but don't mean it's great

For the last 3 years I've personally been burning seasoned beech and ash and it's good

Before that I was burning oak, apple etc and many other types and I'm no expert on wood but I had very different amounts of success with the varieties to some not wanting to burn very well to others not lasting and some giving no heat at all compared to others, I do have a moisture meter and all was similar in dryness.

My point is not all wood does burn equal, I'm lucky to get all my wood for free so it's all good but some is more good than others

This poem (although this is actually the poorest version I've seen, the original is somewhat better) really only reflects the differing difficulties in drying different timber.

The timbers that are listed as good are generally easy to dry and tend to stay dry.

A good example is Elm, Elm felled green is very difficult to dry, taking years. But DED causes the tree to self season and gravity dry, it then becomes some of the finest firewood there is.

Green Ash will burn (poorly in real terms) the fact that this is held up as he gold standard says it all IMO.

This poem (although this is actually the poorest version I've seen, the original is somewhat better) really only reflects the differing difficulties in drying different timber.

The timbers that are listed as good are generally easy to dry and tend to stay dry.

A good example is Elm, Elm felled green is very difficult to dry, taking years. But DED causes the tree to self season and gravity dry, it then becomes some of the finest firewood there is.

Green Ash will burn (poorly in real terms) the fact that this is held up as he gold standard says it all IMO.

Cool

Nice answer explaining why and I can educate myself a little on the subject :)